All fur coat and no knickers
Superficially attractive, physically
- Our new boss sounded like she had a lot of good ideas for the department, but it turns out she's all fur coat and no knickers.
All dressed up and nowhere to go
Prepared for an event that does not occur
- The space shot was cancelled, so all the astronauts are all dressed up and nowhere to go.
Beauty is only skin deep
External appearance is a superficial basis for judging someone
- Beauty is only skin deep. I think what's really important is finding a balance of mind, body and spirit.
Clean up nicely
Look good when one is dressed up
- All I said was that she cleans up nicely, and she got mad at me!
Very similar in appearance
- He's a dead ringer for Bono from U2.
他的长相很像 U2 乐队的博诺。
Don’t judge a book by its cover
Don’t be deceived by looks
- I still believe that sentence, though not judge a book by its cover, but one's inner world in his face.
Not a spring chicken
No longer young
- At 85, he is no spring chicken, but he is busier than ever.
An extremely beautiful woman
- She was a knockout in navy and scarlet.
Put one’s face on
- She never leaves the house without putting her face on first.