Bed of Roses
A comfortable situation
- We all knew that life was unlikely to be a bed of roses back in England.
Can’t See the Forest for the Trees
Is unable to maintain a wider perspective
- She can't make a decision about the project because she can't see the wood for the trees.
Doesn’t Amount to a Hill of Beans
Is unimportant, is negligible
- Even if you bank with someone for 25 years, that still doesn't amount to a hill of beans.
Go Out on a Limb
Assert something that may not be true
- I will go out on a limb here, and predict that most of these situations will not involve any embezzlement by management.
Benefiting from a positive financial situation
- With the income from the family estate, she's in clover.
Knock on Wood
Let’s hope I have good luck or continue to have good luck
- The deal will be agreed on Wednesday, knock on wood.
Put Down Roots
Establish oneself in a place; settle
- When they got to Montana, they put down roots and built a life.
Too Many to Shake A Stick At
A large number
- Two years ago we had the field to ourselves with this project. Now there are too many competitors to shake a stick at.
(To Be) Out of One’s Gourd
- Join the marines? You must be out of your gourd.