Made by a person and not a machine
- All their toys are made by hand.
To experience something yourself
- Most of the older reporters have experienced war first hand.
Get your hands dirty
To engage in an important activity that may not be pleasant
- But you're not afraid to get your hands dirty anymore, are you?
In the hands of somebody
Being taken care of or controlled by somebody
- The choice between the two lies in the hands of US voters.
Know like the back of your hand
- I know this area like the back of my hand.
- A 1,200-strong military force will be on hand to monitor the ceasefire.
Put your hand in your pocket
To spend money or give it to somebody
- People are more inclined to put their hands in their pockets to help children.
Not from the original source/used object
- This bike is second hand but it's still in good condition.
Take your life in your hands
To risk being killed
- Every time you go parachuting you're taking your life in your hands.