An Axe to Grind
A grievance, a disagreement with someone that justifies confrontation
- He looks like he's got an axe to grind. Better have a talk with him.
- Bob had an axe to grind at tom's expense.
Bag of Hammers
Stupid, oriented toward illogic
Bury the Hatchet
Make peace, agree to end a dispute
- Can't you two bury the hatchet and get back to a normal working relationship!
Improve relations after a dispute
- Washington was last night doing its best to mend fences with the Europeans, saying it understood their concerns.
Put a Spanner in the Works
To sabotage something; to cause something to fail
- If the girl is intending to many John, his mother will put a spanner in the works.
Rome Wasn’t Built in a Day
Complex projects take time
Tighten the Screws
Increase pressure on someone
- The Kremlin may try to tighten the screws on the opposition, NGOs and free media after the elections.
Throw a Wrench Into
To sabotage; to cause to fail
- Their delegation threw a giant monkey wrench into the process this week by raising all sorts of petty objections.
Shit a Brick
Be extremely fearful
- We were all shitting bricks as the truck missed the car by inches.