英 [əˈliːdʒəns] 美 [əˈliːdʒəns]
- Soldiers have to swear allegiance to the Crown/the King.
- In many American schools, the students pledge allegiance (to the flag) at the beginning of the school day.
- As an Englishman who'd lived for a long time in France, he felt a certain conflict of allegiances when the two countries played soccer.
英 [ˌækwiˈes] 美 [ˌækwiˈes]
Senior government figures must have acquiesced in the cover-up.
In order to placate the mob, the feeble president acquiesced to their demands.
（拓展学习：小词详解 | acquiesce）
英 [dɪˈfɜː(r)] 美 [dɪˈfɜːr]
- My bank has agreed to defer the repayments on my loan.
- Can we defer making a decision until next week?
- I have to defer to my boss on important decisions.
- I defer to (= accept) your judgment.
- We will defer to whatever the committee decides.
英 [ˈdɪsəplɪn] 美 [ˈdɪsəplɪn]
- a guide to the best ways of disciplining your child
- a disciplined army/team
纪律严明的军队 / 团队
- a disciplined approach to work
英 [ˈdəʊsaɪl] 美 [ˈdɑːsl]
- a docile child/horse
- They wanted a low-cost, docile workforce.
- Circus monkeys are trained to be very docile and obedient.
英 [miːk] 美 [miːk]
- They called her Miss Mouse because she was so meek and mild.
- He was a meek, mild-mannered fellow.
- She played the role of a meek, innocent, shy girl. I don't know who she was trying to kid.
英 [ˈplaɪəbl] 美 [ˈplaɪəbl]
- Some kinds of plastic become pliable if they're heated.
- As your baby grows bigger, his bones become less pliable.
- He wanted a sweet, pliable, obedient wife.
- If we go on expecting our daughters to be decorative and pliable and empty-headed, they'll be inadequately prepared for the future.
英 [səbˈmɪt] 美 [səbˈmɪt]
- She refused to submit to threats.
- He submitted himself to a search by the guards.
- We protested about the changes for a long time, but in the end we had to submit.
- She decided to resign from the party rather than submit herself to the new rules.
英 [ˈtræktəbl] 美 [ˈtræktəbl]
- The problem turned out to be less tractable than I had expected.
- He could easily manage his tractable and worshipping younger brother.