区别辨析 and 与 or

 (1) ①and用来连接语法功能相同的成分。

  • bread and butter
    黄油面包(名词)
  • They sang and danced all night.(动词)
    他们整夜又唱又跳。
  • I went home and Tom stayed at the station.(两个并列句)
    我回了家,而汤姆待在车站。

②当连接两个以上的成分时,通常只是在最后一个成分的前面用and。

  • They drank, sang and danced all night.
    他们一整夜喝酒、唱歌、跳舞。
  • I went back home, Lucy went with me, and Tom stayed at the station.
    我回了家,露西随我一起,而汤姆待在车站里。

③用and连接这些成分时,往往是把音节最短的放在最前面,如big and small,cup and saucer,等。

④一些常用短语用and 连接时,常有固定不变的次序。

  • hands and knees; knife and fork; bread and butter; men, women and children

⑤当两个成分用and连接时,两个成分中都出现的词(如冠词、介词),在第二个成分中往往被省掉。

  • the bread and (the) butter; in France and (in) Germany

⑥口语中在try, wait, mind, care后面通常使用and来代替不定式的to。

  • Try and get some unsalted butter.(也可说Try to...)
    设法弄些无盐黄油来。
  • I really must try and see Mary this week. (或说...try to...)
    我这周真的必须设法去看看玛丽了。
  • You must mind and arrive by six.
    你必须注意6点前到。

*这样用时,try, wait等and 前面的动词通常是用祈使语气或不定式(不带to),不能用tries, tried或trying。如,不能说:I tried and got.../He always tries and gets.../We waited and saw.

⑦在come, go, run, hurry up, stay, stop等其他一些动词后,也常用and代替表示目的的不定式to。

  • Come and have a drink.
    来喝一杯。
  • Hurry up and get dressed.
    赶快把衣服穿好。
  • Stay and have dinner.
    留下来吃饭吧。
  • I ought to stop and think.
    我应该停下来想一想。
  • Would you go and tell the children to keep silence?
    你去告诉孩子们保持安静好吗?

⑧在这些例子中,第三人称形式和过去时形式是可以用的。

  • I went and had a drink with Jack yesterday.
    昨天我去跟杰克喝了两杯。
  • He usually stays and has dinner with us on Sundays.
    他常在星期天留下来跟我们一起吃饭。

⑨而在美式英语中,go和come后面的and往往省掉。

  • Go jump into the river.
    去跳进河里。
  • She tried to persuade the girl to come live with her.
    她试图说服这姑娘过来与她同住。
  • He left home to go live in Beijing.
    他离家到北京去住。
  • Come have a drink.
    过来喝一杯。

 (2) ①or表示选择,意为“或者,还是”。

  • Is it green or blue?
    它是绿的还是蓝的?
  • Are you going there before or after lunch?
    你打算在午饭前还是午饭后去那里?
  • Do you want a bath now, or shall I have mine first?
    你想现在就洗澡,还是我先洗?
  • Whether he comes or not, it doesn't make any difference.
    他来与不来,没多大关系。
  • There's one or two things I'd like to discuss with you.
    有一两件事情我想跟你讨论一下。
  • Which is it, the black one or the red one?
    到底是哪一个,是黑的还是红的?

②or 还可表示“否则”,与or else相同。

  • Hurry or/or else you won't make the train.
    赶快,要不然你就赶不上火车了。

 (3) 在否定句里有两个动词、对等的宾语或状语时,习惯上用or连接,而不用and。

  • He never smokes or drinks.
    他既不吸烟,也不喝酒。
  • He did not write legibly or correctly.
    他写得既不清楚,也不正确。
  • The problem is, I don't know any editors or writers.
    问题是我既不认识编辑,也不认识作家。