区别辨析 arouse 与 rouse

(1) 当某人睡着、厌倦、缺乏热情等等时,可用rouse sb.表示“唤醒,唤起,激励(日常口语中wake up更常用)”。

  • It is extremely difficult to rouse me in the mornings.
    早晨唤醒我特别困难。
  • We must rouse them/ourselves to action.
    我们必须激励他们/我们自己行动起来。
  • Mr. Li's speech failed to rouse his audience.
    李先生的演讲未能唤起听众的热情。
  • The news of the murder of Rose Luxemburg roused great indignation in the workers. 罗兹·卢森堡被杀害的消息在工人中间激起了极大的义愤。
  • He succeeded in getting back without rousing the suspicion of the police.
    他很顺当地回来了,没有引起警察的怀疑。

 (2) ①arouse意为“引起,唤起”,常用一个抽象词作宾语,不少情况下,可与rouse换用,如:arouse/rouse sb.'s interest/suspicions/sympathy class consciousness

  • This policy aroused bitter criticism from the beginning.
    这项政策从一开始就引起了激烈的批评。
  • If you want to arouse my interest in foreign languages, why don't you pay for me to study abroad?
    如果你想唤起我对外语的兴趣,那你为什么不出钱让我出国留学?

②arouse也可表示“唤醒,唤起”,用于字面意义或比喻。

  • The explosion aroused him from his deep sleep.
    爆炸把他从熟睡中弄醒了。
  • The rejection of this measure aroused the people to indignation.
    拒绝实行这一措施激起了人们的义愤。
  • We must arouse them to fight for their own emancipation.
    我们必须唤起他们为他们自身的解放而战斗。