区别辨析 compliment, complement 与 supplement

compliment, complement 与 supplement 这四个单词中,前两个词外形上易混,后两个词义上易混。

 (1) ①compliment意为“恭维,赞扬,奉承话”。

  • I take it as a compliment to be asked to speak.
    我把受邀讲话视作一种恭维。
  • Don't let compliments turn your head.
    别让奉承的话弄昏了头脑。

②compliment还作“致意,问候”解,这时多用复数形式。

  • Extend/Give my compliments to your parents.
    请代我向你父母问候。
  • With the compliments of the season.
    (信末用语)顺祝时绥。

③pay sb. a compliment/compliments, pay a compliment (compliments) (to sb.)意为“恭维(某人),赞扬(某人),(向某人)表示敬意”。

  • I suppose he's been paying you compliments .
    我想他一直在恭维你。
  • This was the first compliment he had ever paid her.
    这是他第一次恭维她。

④return the compliment意为“报以赞扬、恭维的话,回敬”,可用于褒义,也可用于贬义。

  • Mary said, “I love your new hairdo” and Susan returned the compliment with “What a pretty dress you are wearing, Mary.”
    玛丽说:“我喜欢你的新发型。”而苏珊回敬道:“玛丽,你穿的衣服多漂亮啊。”
  • John punched Jerry in the nose, and Jerry returned the compliment.
    约翰朝杰里的鼻子上猛击一拳,杰里也回敬了他。

 (2) ①complement意为“补充物,补足物”,是可数名词。

  • We have a year-end bonus that is small but by no means negligible complement to our annual earnings.
    我们有年终奖金,数额虽小,但对于我们的全年收入绝不是不重要的补充。
  • Travel is an excellent complement to one's education.
    旅行对一个人的教育是极好的补充。

②complement还可作“补足语”解。

In the sentence “When I turned round the corner I saw John running to catch the bus”, “running to catch the bus” is the complement to “John”.

在 “When I turned round the corner I saw John running to catch the bus” 一句中的“running to catch the bus”就是“John”的补足语。

 (3) ①supplement意为“补充物,补充(的东西)”,在此意义上,与complement接近。

  • The night courses are an important supplement to my regular course work.
    晚上的课程对我的正常课程来说,是一个重要补充。
  • She has been ill and must have some supplements to her ordinary food.
    她病了,必须在普通食物之外吃些补品。

②supplement还作“(书报的)补篇,增刊”解。

  • This history has a supplement containing an account of what has happened since the founding of the republic.
    这部历史书有一个续篇,对共和国成立以来所发生的事情作了说明。
  • At the end of the book there's a supplement of verb table.
    本书末附有一个补充的动词表。