区别辨析 obligate, oblige, compel, force 与 make

(1) obligate指“强制某人做某事”,尤指依照法律或道义,常用被动语态。

  • He felt obligated to help.
    他觉得有责任去帮忙。
  • I'm obligated to fulfill these conditions.
    我有责任履行这些条件。
  • Everybody is obligated to take good care of public property.
    每个人都有责任爱护公物。
  • All units, organizations and individuals are obligated to help the underdeveloped regions.
    一切单位、组织和个人都有责任帮助欠发达地区。

 (2) ①oblige 以诺言、誓约,或法律、契约等来束缚某人,要求某人做某事,意为“迫使;要求”。

  • The law obliges parents to send their children to school.
    法律要求父母送子女入学。

②oblige在表示某种必要性迫使某人“不得不;只好做某事”时,通常用被动语态。

  • They were obliged to sell their store in order to pay their debts.
    他们被迫卖了商店来还债。
  • They were obliged by circumstances to do it.
    环境使他们不得不这样做。

③在表示施惠于某人时,常用主动语态。

  • Would you please oblige me by closing the door?
    请替我关上门好吗?
  • Can you oblige us with a song?
    你能给我们唱个歌吗?

④在表示“使感激,使感谢”时,通常用被动式。

  • We're really very much obliged to you for your kindness in coming round to see us.
    对于你前来看望我们,我们真的非常感谢。
  • We shall be deeply obliged if you will be so kind as to make suggestions for improvement of our work.
    如果你能给我们建议以改进我们的工作,我们将不胜感激。

⑤表示“使……高兴”时用主动式。

  • Have a little more just to oblige us.
    单是为了我们高兴,你也要多吃一点。

⑥oblige...by (+-ing)表示“(做某事)使高兴;劳驾(做某事)”。

  • You would oblige me by giving more time to your work (...if you gave more time to your work).
    如果你把更多的时间用于工作,我将很高兴。

⑦而要表达对某人感激时,to be indebted to由“欠某人的债”引申为“受某人恩惠”,比to be obliged to更积极一些。

  • I'm greatly indebted to all the people who worked so hard to make the party a success.
    我十分感激那些努力使晚会成功举办的人。
  • We're indebted to science for many of our comforts.
    我们许多舒适的设施都得归功于科学。

 (3) compel表示“强迫,迫使”,使某人不得不屈从或同意做自己不愿意做的事。

  • The march of events compelled us to change our minds.
    事件的进展迫使我们改变主意。
  • She was compelled by illness to leave the work she had loved so much.
    由于生病,她被迫离开她曾经那么热爱的工作。

 (4) force在表示“强迫,迫使”时系普通用词,含有用强力或压力促使某人做某事之意。

  • They forced the invaders onto the defensive.
    他们迫使侵略者采取守势。
  • We shouldn't force our views on others.
    我们不应当把自己的观点强加于人。
  • She forced down her upper lip as if afraid that to smile was not polite.
    她好像怕笑出来失礼似的,使劲把上唇抿住。

 (5) make 可表示“迫使,强使”(force, compel), 也有“说服”(persuade)某人做某事的意味,语气较force 要弱。

  • You may take a horse to the water, but you can't make him drink.
    你可以把马牵到水边,但你不能强迫它喝水。
  • Tom made him stay to tea.
    汤姆说服他留下来喝茶。