区别辨析 suspend, delay, postpone, put off, be off, hold back, hold off, hold up 与 retard

(1) ①suspend除作“悬挂,吊起,悬浮”解外,还表示“暂停,延缓,悬而不决”,

  • We have decided to suspend the delivery of the goods until they remit us the payment.
    我们已决定暂停发货,直到他们交付货款。
  • The construction of the building has been suspended because of lack of fund.
    由于资金不足,这幢大楼的修建已被暂停。

②suspend也表示“暂不做判决或决定,推迟,缓期(执行)”。

  • I'll suspend decision/judgment until all the factual materials are in.
    在搜集到所有的事实资料之前,我将暂不做决定/判决。
  • The sentence was three years' imprisonment suspended for a year.
    判决为三年监禁,缓期一年执行。
  • He was sentenced to death with suspended execution of the sentence.
    他被判处死刑,缓期执行。

③suspend还表示“使暂停(工作、上学、职务等)”。

  • He has been suspended from duty/work for neglect of duty.
    因为玩忽职守,他被暂时停职。
  • The student was suspended from school for a year for cheating in exam.
    因为考试作弊,那个学生被停学一年。

 (2) ①delay意为“使迟误,使耽搁”,可接名词、代词、动名词。

  • I'm awfully sorry to delay you here.
    我非常抱歉把你耽搁在这儿。
  • He was delayed (for) an hour by heavy traffic.
    他因交通拥挤被耽误了一小时。

②delay又作“推迟,暂缓”解,作“推迟”解时,可与put off和postpone换用。

  • We have to delay (going on) our holidays until our daughters have finished their examinations.
    我们不得不推迟去度假,直到我们的女儿们完成她们的考试。
  • I doubt their reasons for delaying action on the matter.
    我不相信他们在这件事上推迟行动的理由。
  • They've decided to delay building the house for half a year.
    他们决定推迟半年建这所房子。

③delay有时用作不及物动词。

  • I'm sorry for having delayed so long in answering your letter.
    我很抱歉耽误了这么长时间才回信。
  • I won't wait any longer if it means delaying more than a week or so.
    如果那意味着耽误一周之多我就不会再等下去了。
  • Don't delay ; act today!
    不要拖延;今天就行动起来!

④delay有时可与不定式连用。

  • I'll have to say a thousand apologies to you for my delaying to answer your very flattering letter.
    因为我迟迟未答复你那封恭维之信,我将不得不一千次地向你道歉。

 (3) postpone意为“延期,推迟”,与put off和delay相比更正式一些。

  • The meeting was fixed for today but it has been postponed for half a month.
    会议原定今天举行,但现已被推迟了半个月。
  • But you kept postponing your coming.
    但你一直迟迟不来。
  • Would it be possible to postpone our party until after the examinations?
    我们将聚会推迟到考试之后是否可行?
  • We'll have to postpone sending our answer to their request.
    我们将不得不推迟答复他们的要求。

 (4) ①put off可作“延期,推迟”解,较postpone通俗。

  • Can we put off our meeting till next Friday?
    我们能将会议推迟到下周五吗?
  • You mustn't put off going to the dentist again.
    你一定不要再推迟去看牙医了。

②put off可用于非物质的东西,表示“消除,去除”。

  • You can put off all your doubts and fears now.
    现在你可以打消所有的疑虑和担心了。

③put sb. off可以表示“把与某人的约会延期”,也可表示“闪避、敷衍、推诿(已答应的事或责任)”。

  • We shall have to put the Smiths off till we come back from our holidays.
    我们只好把与史密斯家的约会推迟到我们度假回来后。
  • He is trying to put me off with some fair/false/mere promises.
    他企图用一些动听的/虚假的/空头的许诺敷衍我。

 (5) be off除表示“对……不再感兴趣,不想……;戒掉……;不再……;忌食……”外,也可表示“推迟,延期”。

  • The meeting is off (till next week).
    会议被推迟到下周举行。
  • I'm right off TV plays for some reason.
    因为某种原因我不再对电视剧感兴趣了。

 (6) hold back除表示“阻拦,阻止”外,也有“推迟(做某事)”之意。

  • He decided to hold back from doing it.
    他决心推迟做这件事。
  • Don't hold him back if he wants to go/to do it.
    如果他想去/做这件事,不要阻拦他。

 (7) hold off可以表示“推迟(做某事),迟疑(不做某事)”。

  • He held off giving a decision until hearing more evidence.
    他迟迟不做决定,直到听到更多的证据。
  • Why is she holding off applying for a passport?
    为什么她推迟申请护照?

 (8) hold up也可表示“使耽搁、延误、停顿;使不能进行、行驶”等,与delay可换用。

  • I was held up for five minutes in a traffic jam.
    我因交通阻塞而被耽误了五分钟。
  • But since your train's leaving so soon, I'd better not hold you up here any longer.
    由于你的火车马上就要开了,我最好还是别在这儿耽误你了。
  • Production of all new cars has been held up by the steel strike for several months.
    由于钢铁工人罢工,所有新车的生产已被耽误了几个月。

 (9) retard可作“耽误,迟滞,使减慢”解。

  • Disturbance in this country can only serve to retard its economic development.
    发生在这个国家的动乱只会起到妨碍其经济发展的作用。
  • Heavy traffic retarded my arrival by half an hour.
    繁忙的交通使我晚到了半个小时。
  • That disease seemed to have retarded his growth.
    那种病似乎妨碍了他的生长发育。