区别辨析 swear, promise, pledge, undertake, guarantee, warrant, commit, vouch, vow, assure 与 ensure

(1) ①swear是“发誓,保证”,指郑重地许诺做某事,是较正式的用词。

  • He swore (to his father) he would never get mixed up/throw in his lot with that gang.
    他(向父亲) 发誓再也不跟那帮人混在一起/一道干了。
  • It was here under the big old oak tree that we had sworn never to be separated.
    正是在这棵高大的老橡树下,我们山盟海誓永不分离。
  • He swore eternal love to her.
    他发誓永远爱她。

②swear有时用作被动式。

  • They were sworn to drive the invaders out of their country.
    他们发誓把侵略者从他们的国土上驱逐出去。

③swear有时表示“敢肯定,敢打赌”。

  • I could have sworn that he didn't come to the meeting yesterday.
    我敢打赌他昨天没来开会。
  • I could have sworn /I am sure she was here a minute ago.
    我可以肯定她一分钟前还在这儿。

④swear by表示“以……名义起誓,以……的名誉/人格担保”。

  • He swore by God to tell/that he would tell the truth.
    他以上帝的名义起誓,保证说实话。
  • He swore by all the saints/by his honor that he would pay back the money within three months.
    他以圣人/自己的名誉做担保将在三个月内把钱还上。

⑤swear by还作“相信,信赖,主张”解。

  • My wife swears by hand-washing, and won't have a machine.
    我妻子极力主张手洗衣服,而不愿买洗衣机。
  • She swears by that brand.
    她非常信赖那个品牌。

⑥swear in 表示“使宣誓就职”。

  • At the inauguration, the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court swore in the new President.
    在就职典礼上,最高法院的首席法官让新总统宣誓就职。
  • The newly-elected President is being sworn in next week.
    这位新当选的总统将在下周宣誓就职。

 (2) ①promise意为“答应,许诺”。

  • He promised (me) to see me home that day.
    那天他答应(我)送我回家。
  • He promised (us) that he would come to repair the roof within two or three days.
    他答应将在两三天内前来修房顶。
  • His father promised him a new car for his birthday.
    他父亲许诺为他的生日买一辆新车。

②I promise you意思是“可以肯定;我要预先告诉你”。

  • The work won't be easy, I promise you .
    我要预先告诉你,这份活不好干。

③promise the moon意思是“答应办不可能办到的事”。

  • I can't promise you the moon , but I'll do the best job I can.
    我无法答应你去办我所不可能办到的事情,但是我会尽力而为的。

 (3) ①pledge指较郑重的“誓言,保证(做或不做某事)”。

  • He pledged never to come back until he had founded his own business.
    他发誓干不出一番事业绝不回来。
  • He pledged himself not to mention it to anybody without my permission.
    他发誓未经我的允许他绝不向任何人提及此事。
  • He pledged that he would return after three years' study.
    他保证在学习三年后会回来的。

②pledge也可用过去分词作表语。

  • We were all pledged to secrecy/to keep it a strict secret.
    我们都发誓严守秘密。

③pledge与one's word (of honor), one's determination等连用,表示“提出保证,表示决心”等。

  • He pledged his word (of honor) that he would be off drugs for ever.
    他(以他的人格担保)发誓将永远远离毒品。
  • They pledged their determination to carry through to the end the struggle for freedom, democracy and justice.
    他们下定决心一定要将为争取自由、民主和正义的斗争进行到底。

 (4) ①undertake除表示“从事、着手、负责、承担(责任)做某事”(接名词、代词、动名词)外,还可表示“同意、答应做某事”,接不定式。

  • He undertook to pay off all his debts by the end of next month.
    他同意在下月底之前还清他所有的债务。
  • He has undertaken to attend the dinner party in honor of the foreign experts who are leaving here for home.
    他答应参加这次为欢送回国的外国专家举行的晚宴。

②undertake还可作“保证”解,后接that从句。

  • Can you undertake that the entire task will be accomplished in time?
    你能保证所有的任务都能按时完成吗?
  • I can undertake that your health will be greatly improved by doing calisthenics.
    我能保证做柔软体操会大大改善你的健康状况。

 (5) guarantee可作“(做出)保证,担保,保修”解,可接名词、代词、双宾语、that从句和不定式。

  • The manufacturer guarantees the air-conditioner for 18 months.
    制造商为此空调保修18个月。
  • All sides at the conference agreed unanimously to guarantee the territorial integrity of this country.
    与会各方一致同意保证这个国家的领土完整。
  • Nobody can guarantee the punctual arrival of the train in such weather.
    这种天气没人能保证火车的准点到达。
  • I'll lend you the car provided you guarantee that you'll return it tomorrow.
    只要你能保证你明天将车还给我,我就把车借给你。
  • guarantee to fulfill the task within 2 or 3 days.
    我保证在两三天内完成这项工作。

 (6) warrant用作动词时,除表示“证明……为正当,有理由,有权利”外,还可表示“保证,担保”。作“保证,担保”解时,较常用guarantee。

  • Is this material warranted (to be) pure silk?
    这种料子能保证是纯真丝的吗?
  • Can you warrant him (to be) an honest and reliable man?
    你能担保他是一个诚实可信的人吗?
  • warrant (you) that the TV set is of fine quality.(也可用assure you)
    我(向你)保证这台电视机的质量是上乘的。
  • If you can warrant/guarantee the authenticity of the painting, I'll take it.
    如果你能担保这幅画是真迹,我就买下它。

 (7) ①commit也可表示“承诺,答应,保证”之意,常指使自己受到某种约束、承担某种责任(做某事或支持某事);此外还有“调配……供使用,拨出”的意思。

  • The committee has committed more funds to improving the environment.
    委员会承诺拨出更多的资金来改善环境。
  • She has been committed to going to the U.S. to live with her daughter.
    她答应到美国与她的女儿一起生活。

②commit可接反身代词,表示“承担义务,支持,许诺”。

  • He has committed himself to assume the research work.
    他许诺来承担这项研究工作。
  • The municipal government committed itself to appropriate/appropriating ten million dollars for the improvement of the communications facilities.
    市政府许诺拨出一千万美元以改善通信设施。

 (8) ①vouch表示“保证,为……担保”,指为某人的能力或人格、某事的真实性负责。该词多用作不及物动词,常与介词for连用。

  • I'm thinking of getting a loan from the bank — are you willing to vouch for my ability to pay?
    我正在考虑从银行贷款——你愿为我的偿付能力作担保吗?

②vouch有时可接that从句。

  • I can vouch (for it) that he cherishes no intention to leave/of leaving our company.
    我敢保证他根本没有离开我们公司的打算。

 (9) vow表示“发誓、起誓(做某事)”,常用不定式或that从句。

  • The young couple vowed to love each other throughout eternity.(The young couple vowed eternal love.)
    这对年轻夫妻发誓永远相爱。
  • The young man vowed that he would avenge his father's death on the murderer.
    这个年轻人发誓他一定要向谋杀他父亲的凶手报仇。

(10) ①assure可表示“断然地说,有信心地说,保证”。

  • assure you (that ) carrying out the plan will be out of question.
    我向你保证这项计划将得以顺利实施。

②assure还作“使……相信;向……保证”解。

  • He tried to assure me there was no need to be worried about his safety in Washington.
    他努力使我相信根本没必要担心他在华盛顿的安全。
  • He assured me of his readiness to help.
    他向我保证他很乐于帮我。

③assure又作“保证得到,保证有”解,此时可与ensure , guarantee, warrant互换。

  • Nothing in the world, neither wealth nor high position, can assure/guarantee (a man) permanent happiness.
    世界上没有任何一样东西,无论是财富还是显赫的地位,能确保一个人永远幸福。

(11) ensure意为“使……一定做到,保证(有)”。

  • These documents ensure (to) you the authority you need in directing the project.
    这些文件会确保你得到指挥这项工程所需的权威。
  • Can you ensure that the goods we urgently need will be delivered to us in time?
    你能保证我们急需的这些货物能及时发送给我们吗?
  • To ensure getting a good seat, do come earlier.
    为确保得到一个好座位,一定要一些早来。