区别辨析 telegraph, telephone, televise, telex, transmit, tune in, beam, broadcast, cable, call up, dial, get, pick up, phone, radio, ring, receive 与 wire

(1) telegraph意为“发电报”,可作及物动词,也可作不及物动词。

  • He telegraphed his sister to tell her his coming.
    他发电报给姐姐,告诉她他来了。
  • They telegraphed us the happy news.
    他们拍电报告诉我们这令人高兴的消息。
  • He telegraphed me that he would meet me in Washington.
    他发电报告诉我他将在华盛顿接我。

注意:将telegraph用作动词不如用send a telegraph/a cable普遍。

 (2) telephone意为“打电话”,可作及物动词,也可作不及物动词。

  • She telephoned me to meet her at the railway station.
    她打电话让我去火车站接她。
  • Susan's just telephoned to say she'll be late home tonight.
    苏珊刚打来电话说她晚上晚一点回家。
  • If you don't want to go to the shops today, you can telephone your order and they'll deliver it.
    如果今天你不想去商店,你可打电话订购,他们会送货上门。

 (3) televise指“以电视转播、播送(消息、活动、事件等)”。

  • The football match will be televised live so that people throughout the world can see it as it happens.
    这场足球比赛将在电视上现场直播,以便全球各地的人都能即时看到。
  • The celebration ceremony of the centennial of the university will be televised so that we shall be able to see it on our TV sets.
    该校百年校庆的庆典仪式将在电视上转播,因此我们通过电视就能看到了。

 (4) telex指“发电传”。

  • We must telex our branch in New York that prices are to be increased 10%.
    我们必须给纽约分部发传真,告知他们价格将提高10%。

 (5) transmit指“发送,传送,播送”。

  • A telegram was the quickest way to transmit the message at that time.
    在那时,电报是传递信息的最快捷的方式。
  • Do you know how power is transmitted from the engine to the wheel of the machine?
    你知道动力是怎么从发动机传送给机器的轮子的吗?

 (6) ①tune in指“拨到(某个电台),收听到(某个电台的节目)”。

  • I always tune in at 7 o'clock to hear the morning news.
    我总是在7点收听早新闻。
  • Sometimes I can tune in the VOA very easily and sometimes I cannot tune it in at all.
    有时很容易就能收听到“美国之音”,有时却一点也收听不到。
  • You can't expect the reception to be clear unless the set is properly tuned in .
    如果没调好频道,你是不能指望能够收听清楚的。

②tune in to又可表示“使……与……协调”,常用被动式。

  • Can you be well tuned in to your surroundings?
    你能适应周围环境吗?
  • A politician must keep being tuned in to popular feeling if he is to be successful.
    政客如要成功,他就必须注意迎合大众的情感。

 (7) beam可表示“向某一方向发送(信号等)”。

  • Our news program is beamed to America.
    我们的新闻节目向美国发送。
  • They have a plan for placing windmill-carrying balloons in the tropopause to beam electricity down to earth through cables.
    他们计划把携带风车的气球放进对流层,通过电缆向地上发送电流。

 (8) broadcast可表示“播送广播(消息、节目等)”,也可引申用于其他场合。

  • The BBC will broadcast the news at 10 o'clock.
    BBC在10点播放新闻。
  • The VOA begins broadcasting at six in the morning.
    “美国之音”早晨6点开始广播新闻。
  • A sweep of chilly air passed by, rustling all the leaves and snowing the flaky ashes broadcast about the fire.
    一阵冷风席卷而过,吹得所有的树叶哗啦啦直响,吹得火堆片状的灰烬像雪片一般四处飞散。

 (9) cable意为“发电报、电汇”。

  • She cabled me to deliver the goods as soon as possible.
    她发电报要我尽快发货。
  • He cabled (us) that he was coming.
    他发电报说他要来。
  • Are you going to cable or shall I?
    是你去发电报还是我去?

(10) call up意思是“打电话”,美国人尤喜用于非正式文体中,不用被动式。

  • I'll call you up later today.
    今天晚些时候我给你打电话。

(11) dial意为“打电话,拨打(号码)”。

  • Can I dial Tokyo on this telephone?
    我能用这电话拨到东京吗?
  • To get the police, dial 110.
    若想得到警方帮助,请拨110。
  • Put in the money before dialing your number.
    拨号前请投币。

(12) phone也指“打电话”,是非正式用语,等于telephone。

  • phoned him (up ) this morning.
    今早我打电话给他。
  • He phoned to say he was only too glad to come.
    他打电话说他非常乐意过来。
  • I'll phone you the news.
    我会打电话告诉你这消息的。

(13) radio指“用无线电发报;向……发电报;拍发(电报)”,可作及物动词,也可作不及物动词。

  • The ship radioed the base for help.
    轮船向基地发电报求助。
  • An urgent message was radioed to the branch office in Tokyo.
    向东京办事处发了一份急电。
  • She radioed her congratulations to him on his winning the first prize.
    她电贺他获得了一等奖。

(14) ring也可表示“打电话”,系非正式用语,英国人常用;美国人用phone。

  • I'll ring/phone you (up ) as soon as I get there.
    一到那里我就打电话给你。
  • John rang up to inquire about something.
    约翰打电话来询问一些事情。
  • He rang (up) inquiring for you.
    他打电话来找你。

(15) wire指“用无线电发报”,是非正式用语,美国人常用,等于cable。

  • He wired me he would come the next day/he was coming.
    他电报通知我他第二天过来/他要过来。
  • He wired us a message of thanks.
    他发电报来表示感谢。

(16) pick up/get也可表示“收听到(信号等)”,是较随便的用词。

  • Can you get Tokyo on your radio?
    你的收音机能收到东京台吗?
  • We picked up signals for help on the radio.
    我们通过无线电收到求救的信号。
  • The intruding enemy planes were picked up by our radar installations.
    我们的雷达装置侦测到入侵敌机的信号。

(17) receive也可作“收听到(信号等)”解。

  • A: Hello, are you receiving me?
    你好,能听到我吗?
  • B: Yes, receiving you loud and clear.
    能听到,听得响亮而且清楚。