区别辨析 can, could 与 be able to (表示“能力”)

(1) can通常用来表示现在的、一般的能力(什么时候想做就能做某事的能力)。

  • Look! I can do it! I can do it!
    看!我会做了!我会做了!
  • You can certainly cook, even if you can't do anything else.
    即便你其他什么事也不会做,你肯定会做饭。

 (2) be able to也可用于此意,但不那么常用。

  • You are certainly able to cook, even if you can't do anything else.
    即便你其他什么事也不会做,你当然会做饭。

①在表示未来的能力时,通常用will be able to。

  • I'll be able to speak German in another few months.(不常说:I can...)
    再过几个月,我就能讲德语了。
  • One day people will be able to run a kilometre in two minutes.
    总有一天,人类将能在两分钟里跑完一千米。

②当人们就未来的能力做出目前的决定时,常常用can表示。

  • We are too busy today, but we can repair your car tomorrow.
    今天太忙,但明天我们就能修你的车了。
  • Can you come to a party on Saturday?
    星期六你能来参加一个晚会吗?

 (3) could用于表示过去某人“一般的能力”,这时,也可用was/were able to来表示。

  • She could sing/was able to sing like an angel when she was a kid of ten years.
    当她还是个10岁的小孩时,她就能像一个天使似的唱歌了。
  • His father could speak ten languages.
    他父亲会讲10种语言。

①could不用来表示过去的、具体某一次的能力,这时我们常用was/were able to, managed to或succeeded in (doing) sth.来表示。

  • How many eggs were you able to get? (不用:...could you get?)
    你弄到了多少鸡蛋?
  • After six hours' climbing, we succeeded in reaching/were able to reach the top of the mountain. (不用:we could reach...)
    经过六个小时的攀登,我们登上了山顶。
  • He was a terrific liar: he could make anybody believe him.
    (一般的能力)
    他是个大骗子:他能让任何人相信他。
  • I talked for a long time, and in the end I managed to make her believe me.
    我谈了很长时间,最后我设法使她相信了我。(一次具体的能力,不可用could)

②但否定式couldn't则既可用来表示过去的一般的能力,也可用来表示一次具体的能力。

  • When I was younger, I couldn't decide what I wanted to do.
    当我更年轻时,我不能决定我想要做什么。
  • My friend Tom got so drunk last night that he couldn't even find the front door of his house.
    我的朋友汤姆昨晚喝得大醉,连自己家的前门都找不着了。

③could可用在带有条件的句子中,意思是“就会……;就能……(would be able to)”。

  • We could have a really good time if we had a flat of our own.
    如果我们有一套自己的房子,我们就太开心了。

④当表达本来有能力做某事,但没有试图去做时,可用could have done这一结构。

  • could have married anybody I wanted to.(=I was able to ..., but I didn't.)
    我本来可以嫁给任何我想嫁的人。
  • could have killed her!(=I was so angry that I was capable of killing her, but I didn't.)
    我简直要杀了她!(=我当时气得能杀死她,但我没有那么做。)
  • You could have helped me!(=You were able to help me — why didn't you?)
    你本可以帮我的嘛!(=你当时可以帮助我的——你为什么没有那么做呢?)
  • could have won if I hadn't fallen over.
    如果不摔倒,我就可能赢了。

⑤这一结构用于否定句,表示“即便我去尝试,也不会做到”,但依据上下文可有灵活译法。

  • couldn't have won , so I didn't go in for the race.
    我不可能赢,所以就没报名参加比赛。
  • couldn't have enjoyed myself more — it was perfect.
    我玩得不能更痛快了——真是太棒了。

⑥can与see, hear, feel, smell等动词连用,描述正在发生的一种感觉上的经历,could用于表示过去某个时间正在发生的感觉上的经历。

  • can feel something crawling up my leg.
    我感觉有什么东西在沿着我的腿向上爬。
  • When I got off the train, I could smell the sea.
    我一下火车,就闻到了大海的气息。