区别辨析 fit, appropriate, apt, apposite, fitting, proper 与 suitable

(1) ①fit可用作形容词,意为“适合,合适”,多作表语,可接不定式或介词for。

  • I don't think he is fit to do the job.
    我认为他不适合做这工作。
  • He is not fit to be a member of the committee.
    他不适合做委员会成员。
  • Do you think the weather is fit to go out ?
    你认为这天气适合外出吗?
  • He is just fit for a job as English teacher.
    他正适合做英语教师的工作。

② fit有时也用作定语。

  • Let's decide on a fit time and place for the meeting.
    让咱们为会议决定一个合适的时间和地点。
  • We must find a fit person to do this work.
    我们必须找一个合适的人来做这工作。

③fit有时表示“身体好,健康”。

  • You look fitter than I saw you last.
    你看上去比我上次见你时身体更好了。
  • Is he fit enough to take part in the Olympic Games?
    他的身体可以参加奥运会吗?
  • He's not a fit man; he has an unusual illness.
    他不是一个健康的人,他患有一种不寻常的病。

 (2) appropriate用作形容词时,意为“适合于,适当”,后接介词for或to。

  • You must wear shoes appropriate for climbing mountains.
    你必须穿适合登山的鞋子。
  • Plain, simple clothes are appropriate for school wear.
    简朴的衣服适合在学校里穿。
  • You should write in a style appropriate to your subject.
    你应该以适合你主题的风格去写。

 (3) apt可以表示“恰当,贴切”。

  • He made a few apt remarks about exercising and health.
    他就锻炼和健康的关系说了一些很恰当的话。
  • That was a very apt remark; it fitted the occasion beautifully.
    那是一句很恰当的话,恰好适合这个场合。

 (4) apposite意为“显然适当的,贴切的”,指适合于某个目的、场合或情况,后接介词to或for。

  • His apposite remarks caused people to think him wise.
    他贴切的话语使人们认为他是很有智慧的。
  • What you said was not apposite to the occasion.
    你所讲的不适合这个场合。

 (5) fitting表示“适当,适合,恰当”,可用于事物、言行等。

  • It isn't fitting for you to dress like that today!
    你今天的那身打扮很不适合你。
  • He gave them a fitting reply to their request.
    他对他们的要求给了一个很恰当的回答。

 (6) ①proper可以表示“恰当,正确,合适”。

  • The child is too ill to be nursed at home; she needs proper medical attention at a hospital.
    这孩子病得厉害,不能在家护理。她需要在医院得到恰当的护理。
  • Is he making proper use of his time at work, or does he waste it in doing nothing?
    他是在把时间恰当地用于工作上,还是什么也不做白白浪费了?

②proper也可以表示对于实现某一目的来说是“正确的”。

  • You don't know the proper way to operate the machine.
    你不了解操作这机器的正确方法。
  • I don't consider that short dress is proper for going to church in.
    我认为那件短的上衣不适合去教堂做礼拜时穿。
  • His mother had trained him to be a very proper young man.
    他的母亲把他培养成一个非常高尚的年轻人。

 (7) suitable意为“适当,适合(于),合适的,恰当的”,后多接for,有时也接to,可用作表语和定语,常与fit等换用。

  • I think she is the most suitable person for the job.
    我认为她是做这工作最合适的人。
  • What time do you think is suitable/fit for us to meet?
    你认为我们什么时间见面合适?
  • That work is not suitable to me.
    那工作不适合我。
  • His words were not suitable/apposite/appropriate to the occasion.
    他的话不适合这场合。