区别辨析 frighten sb. out of his wits, frighten/scare sb. to death, scare/terrify sb. out of his mind/wits, scare sb. out of his senses, scare sb. stiff/to death 与 have/keep one's wits about one

 (1) frighten sb. out of his wits意思是“使某人吓坏了,把某人吓呆了”。

  • You frightened me out of my wits , saying that you wanted to kill yourself.
    你说你想自杀,可把我给吓坏了。

 (2) frighten/scare sb. to death意为“把某人吓死、吓坏了”。

  • You frightened/scared me to death , staying out all night!
    你一整夜不回家,把我给吓坏了。
  • He was frightened to death that he would be dismissed.
    他将被解雇,这把他给吓坏了。

 (3) scare/terrify sb. out of his mind/wits意思也是“把某人吓坏、吓呆了”。

  • You scared/terrified me out of my wits , coming up behind me suddenly like that! 你那样突然从后面走上来,把我吓坏了。

 (4) scare sb. out of his senses 意为“吓得某人魂不附体”。

  • That should be enough to scare any man out of his senses.
    那足以把任何人吓得魂不附体。
  • I was scared/terrified out of my mind, giving my first public performance.
    在我第一次公开演出时,我给吓坏了。

 (5) scare sb. stiff/to death意为“把某人吓坏/吓死了;使某人非常焦虑不安”。

  • I was scared stiff of meeting the director until I discovered what a pleasant woman she was!
    会见经理前我紧张死了,但后来我却发现她是一个非常和蔼可亲的人。

 (6) have/keep one's wits about one与上面短语意思相反,是“沉着,镇定,机警,头脑清醒, 方寸不乱”等意。

  • Fred was the only one who kept his wits about him when the fire broke out.
    在失火时弗雷德是唯一一个沉着镇静的人。
  • Keep your wits about you when you're driving.
    在开车时要沉着镇定。