区别辨析 lately, late, of late 与 recently

 (1) lately意为“最近,不久前”,所指时间可以与现在有联系,也可以无联系。前者用现在完成时或一般现在时;后者用过去时。通常用于否定句、疑问句,或与only连用,也可用在 as lately as短语中。

  • A: Have you been to Shanghai lately ?
    你最近去上海了吗?
    B: No, I haven't been there lately.
     没有,我最近没去。
  • It's only lately that she has been well enough to go out.
    只是在最近她的健康才恢复得可以外出了。
  • I saw him as lately as last Sunday; he made no reference to it.
    上星期天我还看见他呢,他根本没提这事。
  • He was grieved to think he had lately seen so little of his parents.
    一想到最近不常去看望父母他就难过。

 (2) ①late与early相对,意思是“迟,晚”,还可表示“到很晚,到夜深”。

  • Yesterday he came to school too late and missed the first lesson.
    昨天他来上学太晚了,误了第一节课。
  • I arrived at the railway station half an hour late and missed my train.
    我到火车站晚了半小时,误了火车。
  • Tired as she was, she sat up late preparing her lessons.
    尽管她很疲劳,她还是熬夜到很晚预习功课。

②late还可组成词语as late as,意思与as lately as相同。

  • I met her as late as last week, but she didn't say a word about her husband going abroad.
    上周我还见到她,但她对丈夫出国一事只字未提。

 (3) of late, recently意思都是“最近,近来”,与lately差不多,在使用时态上也与lately相同。三者常可换用。

  • His health seemed to have improved considerably when I visited him of late/recently .
    我最近拜访他时,他的健康似乎大大改善了。
  • I haven't seen Prof. Smith of late/recently/lately .
    最近我没见到过史密斯教授。
  • They have only come here just recently .
    他们不久前才来到这里。