区别辨析 pass, pass away, pass by, elapse, go by, spend 与 kill

(1) ①pass可用作及物动词,意思是“度过……;消磨时间”。

  • Mary passes her time (by/in) knitting.
    玛丽以编织消磨时间。
  • How do you pass your time now you are retired?
    既然你现在退休了,怎么打发时间呢?

②pass也可用作不及物动词,表示“过去了”。

  • The time for action had already passed .
    行动的时机已经过去了。
  • The autumn and winter passed uneventfully here.
    这个秋冬平静无事地过去了。
  • Three years had passed since I came.
    我来这儿三年了。
  • The feeling had but deepened with the passing of years.
    随着岁月的流逝,这种感觉却加深了。

 (2) pass away可表示“消磨掉,过去了”,既可作及物动词,又可作不及物动词。

  • Newspaper reading helps pass away the time.
    看报纸有助于消磨时间。
  • The seasons passed away rapidly.
    四季匆匆逝去。

 (3) ①pass by也可以表示时间,意思是“过去了”,by用作副词。

  • Hours passed by without our knowing it.
    不知不觉几个小时过去了。

②pass by中的by也可用作介词,意思是“走过(某人、某处)”,有时意味着“不停、不理睬、不注意地走过去”。

  • He passed by me without noticing me.
    他从我身边经过,没有注意到我。
  • pass by the post office every day.
    我每天都经过邮局。

 (4) elapse指时间“经过,逝去,流逝”,是书面用语,使用场合较pass窄,含有“悄悄、不知不觉地过去”的意味。

  • Twenty years have elapsed since our first meeting.
    我们第一次见面,距今已20年过去了。

 (5) ①go by指时间“经过,过去”,by可用作副词,等于pass或pass by,用于口语,可用于人、物或时间。

  • A month went by slowly without the culprit being secured by the police.
    一个月慢慢地过去了,罪犯还未被警察抓获。
  • As each contingent went by , there was a burst of applause from the watching crowd.
    每个小分队过去时,观看的人群就爆发出一阵掌声。

②go by中的by也可用作介词,表示“走过(某处)”,常用于口语。

  • go by the church every day on my way home from work.
    我每天下班回家路上都经过这个教堂。

 (6) spend表示“以一定方式度过一定时间”,以人为主语。

  • Can't you come and spend the holidays with us?
    你就不能来和我们一起度假?
  • spent three hours on/in doing my homework.
    我花了三个小时做家庭作业。

 (7) kill可用于时间,表示“消磨,消遣,打发”。

  • The train was very late, so we had to kill time by playing cards.
    火车很晚才开,因此我们不得不打牌消磨时间。
  • He killed an hour by looking round the shops.
    他逛商店打发掉了一小时的时间。