区别辨析 regret, be sorry, feel sorry, pardon, excuse me 与 apologize

(1) ①regret意为“后悔,懊悔,遗憾”,较正式;接动名词时,表示为已发生的事情“懊悔”。

  • They regretted that they had left home without having brought coppers with them.
    他们很后悔,离开家时没有带钱。
  • I don't regret telling/having told her what I thought, even if it upsets her.
    即便是令她不高兴,我也不后悔告诉了她我的想法。
  • She bitterly regretted the step that had to be taken.
    她为自己不得不采取这一步而深感遗憾。

②接不定式to say, to tell, to inform等时,表示对自己将说、告诉、通知等事项感到遗憾。

  • regret to inform you that we are unable to offer you employment.
    我很遗憾地通知你我们无法为您提供一份工作。

 (2) be sorry是较随便的说法,接不定式时的意思是“(为要做的事)表示遗憾、抱歉、悲伤、惋惜”。如要对已做的事表示抱歉,则要接不定式完成式或用for doing/having done,或用that从句(见“excuse me...”条目)。

  • I'm sorry to disturb you — could I speak to you for a moment?
    很抱歉打扰你——我能跟你谈谈吗?
  • We're sorry to hear of your father's death.
    获悉你父亲逝世,我们深感痛惜。

 (3) ①feel/be sorry常与about或for连用,表示“(为已经做的事情)感到懊悔、惋惜、遗憾”。

  • Aren't you sorry for/about what you've done?
    难道你不为你的所作所为懊悔吗?
  • If you'll say you're sorry (=that you repent), we'll forget the incident.
    如果你肯说你感到抱歉,我们就既往不咎了。

②be/feel sorry for sb.表示“(对某人)同情或轻微的轻视”。

  • I feel sorry for anyone who has to drive in weather like this.
    我很同情那些不得不在这样天气里驾车的人们。
  • I'm/feel sorry for you, but you've been rather foolish, haven't you?
    我很同情你,但你还是有些太傻了,是不是?

 (4) 关于(I beg your) pardon, excuse me,详见“excuse me...”条目。

 (5) apologize/-ise意为“道歉,致歉”,多用作不及物动词,有时也用作及物动词,较为正式。

  • I have come to apologize to you for having hurt your feelings.
    我为伤害了您的感情而前来向您道歉。
  • If I have made any mistake, I am ready to apologize .
    如果我犯了任何错误的话,我随时准备道歉。
  • I must apologize for calling so late.
    我必须为这么晚还打电话而道歉。