区别辨析 refuse, decline, reject, repel, turn down 与 turn away

(1) refuse是普通用词,后接名词或不定式,不能接that从句或动名词。

  • Do you really think they are going to refuse our invitation for the party?
    你真的认为他们将会拒绝我们让他们来参加宴会的邀请吗?
  • We had a press pass but were refused admittance anyhow.
    我们有记者通行证,但还是被拒之门外。
  • He couldn't refuse anything to his lovely daughter.
    他对他那可爱的女儿总是有求必应。

 (2) decline意思是“辞谢,婉言拒绝(邀请等),谢绝”,可接名词、动名词或不定式。

  • I'm thinking of declining their invitation to dinner.
    我在考虑谢绝他们的赴宴邀请。
  • He declined to give/giving any comment on the prime minister's resignation.
    对于首相的辞职,他不肯发表任何评论。

 (3) reject“拒绝,抵制”,语气较强,常用于外交、贸易条款之类的正式场合,另有“抛弃,剔除”之意。

  • The Japanese government has rejected the protest of the Republic of Korea.
    日本政府拒绝了韩国的抗议。
  • The court rejected the prisoner's appeal for a new trial.
    法院驳回了犯人的上诉。
  • In choosing the seeds for sowing, be sure to reject those that are shriveled or moldy.
    在为播种选种时,一定要剔除那些皱缩和发霉的。

 (4) repel除表示“驱逐,使厌恶,使不愉快”外,也可表示“拒绝 (refuse to accept)”。

  • They repelled his offer to settle the problem in private.
    他们拒绝了他关于私下了结的提议。
  • As far as I know, she accepted, rather than repelled , Joe's offer of marriage.
    据我所知,她是接受了,而不是拒绝了乔的求婚。

 (5) turn down除表示其他意思外,也可以表示拒绝接受(某人或某物)。

  • Why was I turned down for the job? Is it because I am a woman?
    为什么我被拒绝担任这项工作?难道是因为我是一个女的?
  • I'm afraid your request for a pay rise was turned down again.(也可用turned away)
    恐怕你增加工资的要求又被拒绝了。

 (6) ①turn away可以表示“拒不让……进来”。

  • When the famous singer appeared at the theater, crowds of people were turned away , for lack of room.
    当这位著名歌唱家出现在这家剧院时,成群的人们因有限的空间而被拒之门外。

②turn away还可表示“拒绝接受(要求等)”。

  • I am afraid your request for a pay rise has been turned away .
    恐怕你的加薪要求已被拒绝。