区别辨析 so far, until now, up to now, thus far 与 to date

(1) 所有这些短语均可表示“到目前;迄今”,可互换使用。多用现在完成时态。(关于so far, up to now, 另见“up to now/then”条。)

  • So far we have done half the work.
    到目前为止,我们的工作完成了一半。
  • To date we have not received any reply from that company.
    迄今为止,我们还没有收到那家公司的任何答复。

 (2) 这些短语也可与一般现在时、过去时连用,并可移至句末。

  • Only three replies were received so far/thus far/to date .
    目前我们只收到三个答复。
  • It's all right so/thus far .
    迄今为止,一切正常。

 (3) so far, thus far还可表示“到这一点,到那一点;到这种程度,到这种地步”,这时可与现在完成时、一般现在时、过去时连用。

  • Now that we have come so/thus far , we may as well go all the way.
    我们既然已经走了这么远了,我们不妨一路走过去。
  • I can only trust him so far .
    我只能信任他到这种程度。
  • When the level reaches so far you must turn off the valve.
    当水平面达到这种程度时,你必须关掉阀门。
  • So far/Until now/Up to now/To date everything goes smoothly/everything is all right.
    迄今为止,一切顺利。

 (4) so far可以构成go so far as to (do)句型,表示“竟到了……程度;以至于……”。

  • They went so far as to send gunboats to carry out intervention.
    他们竟然派炮舰进行干涉。

 (5) so far还可构成go just so far (in doing sth.)句型,表示“只能到……程度”。

  • I think you can go just so far in being candid .
    我认为你的坦率只能做到这种程度。