区别辨析 take on, recruit, staff, hire, employ 与 engage

 (1) take on意思是“雇佣,聘用”,为非正式用语,与hire较接近。

  • We have taken on a servant to help with the house.
    我们已经雇了一个佣人帮着处理家务。
  • No more workers are taken on at present.
    目前不再招聘新员工了。

 (2) recruit意为“招募(新兵),吸收(新成员)”。

  • We'll have to recruit some new people for the job.
    我们必须为这项工作招聘一些新人员。
  • We are going to recruit some new members to/for our club.
    我们俱乐部要招募一些新会员。

 (3) staff可用作动词,意为“给……配备人员,充实工作人员”。

  • The hospital is staffed with over a hundred doctors.
    这家医院配备了一百多名医生。
  • At present we have not enough money to staff all the understaffed schools (up).
    目前我们没有足够的钱为所有缺员的学校配齐员工。

 (4) hire意为“雇佣,租用”,可用于人,也可用于物,如一头牲畜、一艘小船或一辆自行车。

  • We need to hire some men to help with the work.
    我们需要雇佣一些人来帮着干这工作。
  • How much does it cost to hire a small boat?
    租一艘小船需要花多少钱?

 (5) ①employ指“雇佣,聘请,招聘”,是较正式的用词。

  • He is employed in a bank.
    他在一家银行供职。
  • We're employing three staff for our office next month.
    我们办公室打算下个月雇用三名工作人员。

②employ有时用作名词,如be in the employ of意为“受雇于……”。

  • She is in the employ of a foreign company.
    她受雇于一家外国公司。

 (6) engage也可作“雇佣,聘请,租用”解。

  • He is thinking of engaging a lawyer to argue his case in court.
    他正考虑聘请一名律师替他在法庭上辩护。
  • We need to engage a gardener to mow our lawn once a month.
    我们需要聘一园艺工每月修剪一次草坪。
  • One of his classmates is inclined to engage/rent a room here.
    他的一个同学有意在这里租房子。