区别辨析 thick, slow, stupid, retarded, dumb, backward, awkward 与 muddle-headed

thick, slow, stupid, retarded, dumb, backward, awkward 与 muddle-headed 这些词均可表示能力或智力不佳。

 (1) thick可作“脑子不清楚,笨,迟钝”解,指在学习或理解方面较慢,英国人常用,较随便,常含贬义。

  • My head's rather thick this morning — I drank too much last night.
    我今天早上脑子不太清醒——昨晚喝得太多了。
  • I have had enough of teaching thick/thickheaded pupils.
    我可是受够了教笨学生。
  • You'll never get that through his thick head!
    你永远也无法让他那笨脑瓜理解这一点。

 (2) slow可作“迟钝”解,是指思维不敏捷、理解事物慢,是委婉的说法。

  • He is very slow in learning English/at maths.
    他学英语/数学很迟钝。
  • He's rather slow ; he does not understand/learn quickly.
    他相当迟钝,理解事物/学东西很慢。

 (3) stupid意为“愚蠢,傻气”,指缺乏智力,或由于先天或由于其他原因心智不清。

  • I think he was born stupid .
    我认为他是天生愚蠢。
  • How could you be so stupid?
    你怎么那么傻?
  • Sorry, I made a stupid mistake last time.
    抱歉,上次我犯了个愚蠢的错误。
  • Your idea sounds stupid to me.
    你的想法听起来很傻。

(4) retarded指“弱智的”。

  • This is a school for retarded children.
    这是个智障儿童学校。

 (5) dumb意为“笨,傻,迟钝”,主要用在美式英语中,常含贬义。

  • He is so dumb that you can sell him the Brooklyn Bridge.
    他是个傻得出奇的家伙。

 (6) backward意为“不聪明,智力差”,是委婉的说法。

  • He's intellectually backward .
    他有智力障碍。
  • He is a rather backward child.
    他是一个弱智儿童。

 (7) awkward指“笨手笨脚的”。

  • He is an awkward child, he is always falling down or knocking things over.
    这孩子笨手笨脚的,总是摔倒或是碰倒东西。
  • I'm rather awkward with tools, you do the job.
    我笨手笨脚的,不大会用工具,你做这活吧。

 (8) muddle-headed意为“糊涂的”。

  • I never expected him to be so muddle-headed .
    我从来没想到他的脑袋瓜是如此糊涂。