区别辨析 use as, use for, utilize for, serve as, serve for, do as 与 do for

 (1) use as意为“用(某人或某物)服务于某种目的”。

  • I'm tired of being used as a servant around this place!
    在这儿被用作仆人,我厌烦透了。
  • You can use this box as a table to rest the papers on.
    你可以把这个箱子用作桌子来放文件。

 (2) use for意为“把……(通常为某物)用于某种目的或用来做某事”,后接名词或动名词。

  • Please don't use my best plates for your party!
    在你的宴会上请不要用我的最好的盘子。
  • He had been using my good handkerchief for cleaning the table!
    他竟然用我的好手帕擦桌子!

 (3) utilize for意为“利用(某物)服务于(某目的)”,是正式用语,常用被动式。

  • The small room can be utilized for storage/storing things.
    这间小屋可被用来做储藏室。

 (4) serve as, serve for均可指“做……用;起……作用”,常换用。

  • The wooden box may serve as/for a seat.
    这个木箱可以用作座位。
  • His unpunctuality served as an excuse to get rid of him.
    他的不守时成为解雇他的理由。
  • This room serves for/as bedroom at night and living room during the day.
    这间房在晚上用作卧室,在白天用作起居室。

 (5) do as, do for意为“用作……;当……”,用作此义时,两者可换用。

  • This box will have to do for/as a table until the furniture arrives.
    在家具来之前,得用这个箱子做桌子。

 (6) do for可作“用来(做某事)”解,后接动名词,这时不用do as。

  • A bicycle will do for getting around until we can afford a car.
    在我们能买得起汽车前,可以骑自行车到各处去。