区别辨析 vent on/upon, take out on, take out of, visit on/upon, visit with 与 work off on

vent on/upon, take out on, take out of, visit on/upon, visit with 与 work off on 这些短语意思相近。

 (1) vent on/upon意为“对……发泄(怒气)”。

  • It's wrong to vent your anger on the children. They were not at fault.
    向孩子们发泄怒气是错误的,他们没有错。

 (2) take out on指“把……发泄在……身上;迁怒于”。

  • I know how you must be feeling, but you shouldn't have taken your bad temper out on me.
    我知道你的感受,但你不应该把你的怒气发在我身上。
  • Don't take out your anger on the children.
    不要迁怒于孩子们。

 (3) take out of意为“把(火气)发泄在……身上;拿……出气”。

  • If you've had a bad day at work, there's no need to take it out of the children when you get home.
    如果你在工作上不顺利,没必要回到家在孩子们身上发泄。

 (4) visit on/upon指“把……发泄在……身上;惩罚某人;(罪等)报应在……身上”,是较陈旧的说法。

  • Why did you visit your anger upon everyone around you?
    你为什么把你的怒气发泄到你周围的每一个人身上?
  • God has visited his anger on us.
    上帝已惩罚了我们。
  • Be sure that your most evil deeds will be visited upon you.
    有一点是肯定的,你的最邪恶的行为将会遭到报应的。

 (5) ①visit with可作“以……惩罚某人”解。

  • Take care, or you will be visited with punishment from heaven!
    小心一些,否则你会受到上天的惩罚。

②visit with也可表示“短时间的拜访、看望”。

  • Let's go and visit with your grandmother this afternoon.
    今天下午我们去看望你的祖母吧。

 (6) work off on意思也是“把(火气)发泄在……身上”。

  • There's no need to work your bad temper off on your children, they are not to blame for the way you feel!
    没必要把你的火气发泄在孩子们身上,你的感受不能怨他们。