区别辨析 wade through, plough through, toil at/over, labor at/over, toil through,labor through, work at, work away, work on, work through 与 slave (away) at

 (1) ①wade through指“(费力、吃力地从水、雪、泥中)走过”。

  • We had to wade through thick mud to get to the farm.
    我们必须蹚过厚厚的泥浆去农场。

②wade through用于引申意义,表示“费力地干完、看完(书)等”,用进行时态时,则表示“费力地做着(工作等)”,是较随便的用语。

  • I shan't be home for dinner. I'm still wading through all those urgent letters.
    我不回家吃饭了,我正在努力处理这些紧急信函。
  • I've finally managed to wade through that boring book I had to read.
    我终于费劲地读完了那本我必须读的乏味的书。

 (2) plough through可表示“(费力、吃力地)从水、雪、泥、人群中等走过;(船破浪)前进”,用于引申意义,表示“费力地干完、看完(书)等”,是较随便的用语。

  • The ship ploughed through the waves in the dark night.
    轮船在暗夜中破浪前行。
  • It took over an hour to reach the farmhouse, ploughing through the deep snow in my high boots.
    我花了一个多小时穿着长筒靴踩过厚厚的积雪才到达农舍。
  • The famous actress had to plough her way through the crowd to reach her car.
    这位著名的女演员不得不艰难地挤出人群走到她的车前。
  • I doubt if I shall be home for dinner. I've suddenly a lot of urgent work to plough through .
    我恐怕不能回家吃饭了,我突然有大量的紧急工作要去处理。

 (3) ①toil at/over, labor at/over均指“(长时间)辛苦、努力地干(工作等)”,可以互换。

  • After toiling/laboring at/over the article for weeks he went to the seaside for a short rest.
    在连续几周埋头苦写这篇文章后,他去了海边做短暂的休息。
  • She is toiling over preparing for the Graduate Entrance Examinations of next year.
    她正在辛苦地为来年的研究生入学考试做准备。
  • Week on week he toiled at his complicated experiments.
    他一周又一周艰难地进行着他的复杂的实验。
  • I've been toiling over these exam scripts for weeks. There seems to be no end to them.
    我已连续几周费力地处理这些试卷,它们似乎没完没了。
  • Don't labor at/over your writing, try to make it seem easy and natural.
    不要把你的写作搞得太费力,想办法让它变得简单、自然一些。

②有时用介词on。

  • He labored 15 years on this book.
    这本书他辛辛苦苦搞了十五年。

 (4) ①toil through意为“费力、吃力地做完/读完”。

  • I've finally managed to toil through the difficult work.
    最后,我终于完成了这项艰难的工作。

②toil along表示“吃力地行进”,along可以是副词,也可是介词。

  • We toiled along slowly through the deep snow.
    我们在积雪中缓慢而吃力地前行。
  • We toiled along the muddy road with our entire luggage.
    我们带着所有的行李在泥泞的道路上艰难前行。

 (5) ①labor through可指“(在……中)费力、艰难地行进”。

  • They labored through the thick forest and up the steep hill.
    他们艰难地穿过茂密的森林,爬上了陡峭的山峰。
  • The ship labored through the heavy seas in the dark.
    轮船在黑暗里艰难地穿行于波涛汹涌的大海中。

②labor through也可表示“费力做完(某事);看完”。

  • It took me a month to labor through the dull book.
    我用了一个月才读完这本枯燥乏味的书。

 (6) work at可表示“(在……上)努力、设法、下功夫;学习,研究,致力于”。

  • You'll have to work at the weak points in your English if you want to pass the exam.
    如果你想通过这次英语考试,就必须在你的弱项上下功夫。
  • I want to work at perfecting my style before trying anything new.
    在尝试其他新事情以前,我必须努力使我的风格更完美。
  • I haven't yet persuaded the director to accept my suggestions, but don't worry, I'm still working at it!
    我还没有说服主管接受我的建议,不过别担心,我仍在努力!

 (7) work away意为“一个劲儿干下去;下力气干;用功”,后接at或on,用进行时较多。

  • She is still working away at her homework.
    她正在用功地做着她的家庭作业。
  • You have been working away since the early hours of this morning, and I think you should stop for the good of your health.
    你从一大早就埋头工作到现在,我认为为了你的身体,你该停下来了。

 (8) ①work on可作“从事,致力于,研究”解,此时可与work at换用。

  • I want to work on perfecting my style before trying anything new.
    在尝试其他新事情以前,我想致力于完善我的风格。
  • They're still working on inventing new methods of reaching outer space.
    他们依然在致力于找出到达外层空间的新途径。

②work on还作“对……施加影响;做(某人的)工作”解。

  • Can you work on the chairman to accept my plan?
    你能说服主席让他接受我的计划吗?
  • I'll have to work on your father to give me a loan so as for me to be able to go abroad.
    我将不得不说服你父亲让他给我一笔贷款以让我能出国。

③work on it与work at it都有“继续努力(以使情况发生变化)”的意思。

  • I haven't yet persuaded him to change his mind, but don't worry, I'm still working on/at it .
    我还没说服他改变主意,但是别着急,我仍在继续努力。

 (9) ①work through意为“渗透,穿透”。

  • The rain is still working through the roof.
    雨依然从房顶渗透下来。
  • It's difficult to work the needle through the stiff cloth.
    很难让针穿透这块硬挺的布料。

②work through还作“设法干完/克服”解。

  • I'm still working through this pile of papers.
    我仍在处理这摞文件。
  • We must work through the difficulties until we find an answer.
    我们必须克服这些困难,直到我们找到答案。

(10) slave (away) at指“辛辛苦苦地干”,含有辛苦、不情愿的意味,用away时表示连续不间断。

  • By slaving away at the hot stove for about an hour, she at last got the dinner ready.
    在火热的炉子前辛苦了大约一个小时后,她终于把晚饭准备好了。
  • I have been slaving away at the manuscript for about 10 years.
    10年来,我一直在辛辛苦苦忙着这本手稿。