区别辨析 be in hot water/the soup, be in a jam, be in deep/rough water, be in the mire, get into deep water, get into hot water/a jam

 (1) be in hot water/the soup意为“陷入困境”,等于be in trouble。

  • You'll be in hot water/the soup when the boss finds out what you've done with his car.
    等老板发现你把他的车弄成这样时,你会吃不了兜着走。
  • I'm always in hot water with somebody or other.
    我总是跟这个人那个人弄得别别扭扭的。

 (2) be in a jam意为“处于严重的困境”。

  • You've got to help me, I'm really in a jam this time. I took some money, intending to put it back, but the boss has discovered the loss — what can I do?
    你得帮帮我,这回我可真的麻烦了。我拿了一些钱,本打算把它放回去,可老板已经发现钱少了——我该怎么办?

 (3) be in deep/rough water是“(在……事情上)遇到困难”,其后常接介词over。

  • I seem to be in deep water over this calculation. Can you help me?
    在这项计算上,看来我遇到了困难,你能帮帮我吗?
  • We were in rough water last year, what with the fire that burned down our house and (what with) the flood that wrecked our crops.
    去年我们处境困难,一方面因为大火烧毁了房子,一方面因为洪水毁掉了庄稼。

 (4) be in the mire意为“有了麻烦,处于困境”,特别在金钱方面。

  • We're in the mire for some time, but the firm's future is now looking brighter.
    我们处境困难有一些时候了,但现在公司的前途看起来光明了一些。

 (5) get into deep water, get into hot water/a jam均是“处境困难,陷入困境”之意,可以互换。

  • We'll get into deep/hot water if she hears about this.
    如果她听说了这事,我们可就麻烦了。