区别辨析 believe 与 convince

 (1) ①believe意为“相信”,可接名词宾语,也可接宾语+不定式复合结构,特别是在正式文体中。

  • I don't believe you/what you say/a word you say/your statement.
    我不相信你的话。
  • Everybody believed her to be innocent.
    大家都相信她是无辜的。

②在口语中,后面常接一个从句。

  • believe (that) she's innocent, don't you?
    我相信她是无辜的,你不相信吗?

③在被动句中,可以人作主语,后接不定式。

  • The president is believed to be seriously ill.
    据说,总统生了重病。

④用it作形式主语,believe用被动结构,后接that 从句。这主要用于正式文体中。

  • It is generally believed that enemy troops are advancing on the capital.
    普遍都认为,敌军正向着首都推进。

⑤believe可接介词in,表示“信仰,信奉(have faith in)”。

  • Do you really believe in the existence of God?
    你真的相信上帝的存在吗?
  • We are not superstitious and we do not believe in ghosts.
    我们不迷信,不相信有鬼。

⑥当believe用于引出有否定意味的从句时,通常否定believe。

  • I don't believe she's at home, but I'll go and see.
    我想她不在家,但我还是要去看看。

 (2) convince是“使(某人)信服/相信;使(某人)明白/意识到”,常用的结构是:convince sb. of sth.; be convinced of sth./that(clause); convince sb. that (clause)。

  • We tried to convince him of his mistake but in vain.
    我们试图使他意识到自己的错误,但却是徒劳。
  • You oughtn't entrust to him such important and confidential plans though I'm convinced of his ability/that he's a very able man.
    虽然我相信他的能力/他很能干,你却不该把这样重要而机密的计划委托给他。
  • You are to convince him that his cooperation with us will definitely benefit his firm.
    你要使他明白:他跟我们合作肯定会对他的公司有利。