区别辨析 condescend to, demean oneself, descend to, lower oneself, sink to 与 stoop to

(1) condescend to表示①以高人一等的态度对待(某人);屈尊、放下架子(做某事);②贬损人格做(某种坏事)。

  • A teacher should never make the mistake of condescending to children.
    一个教师永远不应犯下贬抑孩子人格的错误。
  • He doesn't like being condescended to .
    他不喜欢被别人以高人一等的态度来对待。
  • I'm really surprised at you, condescending to such tricks!
    我真对你感到吃惊,居然堕落到搞这种伎俩!
  • He had to condescend to (do) hack work in order to keep the wolf from the door.
    为了维持温饱,他不得不屈尊受雇于人。

③在表示“屈尊(做某事),贬损人格做(某种坏事)”时,condescend也可接不定式。

  • That woman is so proud that she will not condescend to speak to her neighbors.
    那女子非常高傲,不肯放下架子跟邻居讲话。
  • He went so far as to condescend to take bribes.
    他竟然堕落到接受贿赂。

 (2) demean oneself表示①(行为举止的)表现;②自贬身份(做某坏事),后接by doing。

  • How did my son demean himself in the presence of the King?
    我儿子在国王面前表现怎么样?
  • Never demean yourself by taking money as a reward for doing something wrong.
    决不要以接受做某种错事的酬金来贬低你自己。

 (3) descend to也可表示“堕落到(做某坏事)的程度”,to为介词,后接名词、动名词。

  • If a prisoner is badly treated, he may descend to violence .
    如果囚犯受到虐待,他可能会动用暴力。
  • I'm surprised that you would descend to lying .
    我很感吃惊,你竟然堕落至撒谎的地步。

 (4) lower oneself是“降格或失身份去做(某种不好的事)”,后可接不定式,也可接介词by或to引导的短语。

  • Good-mannered people would not lower themselves to be so rude.
    有礼貌的人是不至于将自己降格到如此粗鲁的地步的。
  • You would be lowering yourself if you did that.
    你如那样做,就会失去你的身份。
  • He would never lower himself by/to taking bribes.
    他从不肯接受贿赂贬损自己。

 (5) sink to除其他意思外,也可表示“堕落到(做某坏事)的地步”,to为介词。

  • I am ashamed to learn that you would sink to such depths of behavior.
    听说你竟堕落到做出这种行为的地步,我感到羞耻。
  • I did not think that you would sink to cheating.
    我认为你不会堕落到欺诈的地步。

 (6) stoop to可表示①向……俯下身/弯下腰;②屈尊、降格、失身份(做某事),to 为介词。可用于贬义,也可用于褒义。

  • I had to stoop to the child's height to hear what he was saying.
    我得俯身到那个小孩的高度,去听他在说什么。
  • I'm surprised that you would stoop to such behavior!
    我感到吃惊,你会失身份做出这种行为!
  • I didn't imagine that he would stoop to cheating.
    我想象不出他会不顾身份进行欺诈。