区别辨析 hold fast, hold firm, stand fast, stand firm, stand pat 与 stick fast

(1) hold fast意为“抓牢;紧紧抓住”。

  • He held fast as the car went on down the hill.
    车下山时,他紧紧地抓住了扶手。
  • Hold fast to that branch, and I will get you down.
    紧紧抓住那个树枝,我会把你弄下来的。

 (2) hold firm意为“坚守;固守;(使)稳固”,短语中的firm一般认为是副词,但也有人认为是形容词。

  • The enemy attacked fiercely, but the line held firm .
    敌人猛烈地进攻,但战线依然很稳固。
  • We should hold firm to our beliefs.
    我们应坚守自己的信念。
  • The stock market held firm .
    证券市场稳定。

 (3) stand fast, stand firm均表示“坚定不移;牢牢固守”。

  • All the family tried to persuade him to change his mind, but he stood fast and refused to be influenced.
    全家人都试图说服他改变主意,但他坚定不移,不受任何影响。
  • In spite of the unions' efforts to defeat the new wage and price controls, the government is standing firm .
    尽管工会努力打破新的工资、物价控制办法,政府还是坚定不移地坚持政策。

 (4) stand pat也表示“拒不改变;坚持”,尤用于意见、立场等。

  • I've always had my bedroom blue, and I'll stand pat on that choice.
    我总是把我的卧室弄成蓝色,我还会坚持这么做的。
  • Stand pat , don't let them persuade you that you're wrong.
    要坚持住,不要让他们说服你是你错了。

 (5) stick fast可表示:①(使)陷在(卡在)某处;②坚定不移;坚持。

  • Help me to push the car, it is sticking fast in the mud.
    帮我推推车,它陷在泥里了。
  • He stuck fast to his theory.
    他坚持自己的理论。