区别辨析 many, much, a lot (of), lots (of), plenty (of), a great deal (of) 与 a large number (of)

(1) much, many通常用于疑问句、否定句中,在肯定句中不常用,一般多用lots (of), a lot (of)和plenty (of)代之,特别是在非正式场合(如会话)中。

  • A: How much money have you got?
    你得到了多少钱?
    B: It's OK, I have got plenty 。
    还可以,我得到了很多钱。
  • A: Did you have much trouble with the customs?
    你在适应这儿的风俗习惯方面遇到了很多困难吗?
    B: Rather a lot .非常多。
  • A: There isn't much food left, is there?
    只剩下不多的食物了,是吗?
    B: There is lots of bread and soup.
    还有不少的面包和汤。
  • He has got plenty of men friends, but he doesn't know many girls.
    他有许多男性朋友,但认识的姑娘却不多。
  • We have played lots of matches this season, but we haven't won many.
    我们这个赛季打了不少比赛,但是我们赢的却不多。
  • A lot of my friends are thinking of emigrating, but I don't suppose many of them will in the end.
    我的许多朋友在考虑移民,但我认为他们中间有许多最终是不会移民的。

 (2) a lot (of)和lots (of)无大差异,均可以与单数名词、不可数名词以及复数名词连用。与单数名词、不可数名词连用时,谓语动词用单数;与复数名词连用时,谓语动词用复数。

  • A lot of us were invited at the last minutes.
    我们中间的许多人在最后时刻都被邀请了。
  • A: Where are my shirts?
    我的衬衣在哪儿呢?
  • B: There are a lot in the washing machine.
    有不少在洗衣机里。
  • There's still lots of snow in the garden.
    花园里还有不少的雪。

 (3) lot和plenty比较口语化,在较正式的文体中,a great deal (of)(接不可数名词)和a large number (of)(接可数名词复数)通常用在肯定句中代替much和many。

  • Mr. Davis has spent a great deal of time in the Far East.
    戴维斯先生在远东地区度过了不少时间。
  • The auditors have found a large number of mistakes in the accounts.
    审计人员在账目中发现了许多错误。

 (4) ①但在较正式场合中,much和many也用在肯定句中。

  • Much research has been carried out in order to establish the causes of cancer.
    为了确定癌症的起因,进行了许多研究。
  • Many people were killed in the war.
    有很多人死于战争。

②在肯定句中,much和many常用于too, so, as以及very之后。

  • You have bought too many tomatoes.
    你买的西红柿太多了。
  • There's so much violence these days.
    这些天发生了这么多的暴力事件。
  • Try to get as many opinions as you can.
    努力去得到尽可能多的意见。
  • You talked too much yesterday.
    你昨天说得太多了。