区别辨析 meet, meet with, meet up with, bump into, bang into, barge into, knock up against, run into, run up against, chance on/upon, come/run/drop across, happen on/upon, come on/upon, encounter, stumble across/on/upon/onto 与 tumble on/upon

(1) ①meet作“遇见,会见,见面,见到”解时,可以是按照安排,也可以是意外的。此外,还作“遇到,碰到,受到(灾难、危险、困难等)” 解。

  • I must be off, I'm meeting a foreign friend at six.
    我必须走了,我6点要会见一个外国朋友。
  • We met some interesting people at Ann's birthday party.
    在安妮的生日宴会上,我们遇见了一些很有趣的人。
  • He would be sure to meet disaster if I didn't stay to keep an eye on him.
    如果我不留下来照拂着他,他肯定会有大麻烦的。
  • He will meet him in the semi-finals.
    他将在半决赛时遇到他。

②meet也作“(迎)接,接人”解。

  • Hadn't we better go to the station to meet your mother?
    我们到车站去接你妈,难道不是更好吗?
  • The taxi will meet the seven o'clock train.
    出租车将去接7点钟的火车。
  • The taxi will meet you off the train.
    出租车将到火车站去接你。

③meet作“见面,遇上”解时,也可是不及物动词。

  • We chanced to meet in a hotel that day.
    我们那天在一家旅馆恰巧碰上了。
  • We had not met since we had been in college together.
    自从我们一起去上大学后,我们就再也没见过面。

 (2) ①meet with作“碰到,遇见”解时,一般指意外、偶然的行为;作“会晤;与……见面”解时,指有意或按照安排进行的活动。

  • met (with) a friend on the train from Jinan to Beijing.
    我在从济南到北京的火车上遇到一位朋友。
  • He met with the manager to talk about his proposal for promoting sales.
    他与经理面谈他关于促销的建议。

②meet with又作“遭遇到,碰到,受到”解,与失败、困难、挫折、不幸等连用。

  • He met with an accident on the way home.
    他在回家的路上遇到一起事故。
  • This experiment met with the same failure.
    这项试验同样也失败了。

 (3) meet up with意为“碰上”,与meet with意思相同。

  • On my trip to Shanghai I met up with some interesting people.
    在我去上海的旅途中遇到了一些有趣的人。
  • It was more than 20 years before they met up (with each other) again.
    二十多年后他们才再次重逢。
  • I would have come earlier, but I met up with a traffic jam.
    我本来能早些来,但遇到了交通堵塞。

 (4) ①bump into可作“(无意中)碰到(某人),偶然碰到”解。

  • I was walking out of a lift in a building when I suddenly bumped into an old friend of mine.
    我正从一座大楼的电梯向外走,突然撞见一位老朋友。

②与bump into意思接近的还有bang into, barge into, knock up against, run into, run up against,除表示“撞在(某物)上面”外,也都可用于表示“碰见、意外遇上(某人)”。

  • bumped into/banged into/barged into/ran into/knocked up against/ran up against a glass door and hurt my head.
    我撞到玻璃门上,撞伤了头。
  • bumped into/barged into/ran into/knocked up against/ran up against my former teacher in a shop yesterday.
    昨天我在一家商店碰上了我以前的一位老师。

③run up against还可表示“碰上,遇上(麻烦等)”。

  • The firm is destined to run up against strong competition.
    公司注定要遇到激烈的竞争。

 (5) chance on/upon意为“偶然碰到”,多用于文学作品中。与come/run/drop across, happen on/upon, come on/upon含义接近,可换用。

  • At an old bookstall, I chanced on /came across/ran across a copy of the book I had been longing for.
    在一家旧书店里,我偶然遇到了这本我一直渴望得到的书。
  • It was several years before we chanced on/came upon/came across/dropped across each other in Beijing.
    几年后我们在北京意外重逢。
  • happened on a Chinese hotel when I was walking in the streets of London.
    我在伦敦街头走着时偶然发现了一家中国旅馆。

 (6) encounter意为“碰到,遭遇到”,常与危险、困难、敌人一类词连用;接朋友、熟人时表示“邂逅,不期而遇”。

  • On his way home he encountered an old friend of his father's.
    在回家途中,他与他父亲的一位老朋友不期而遇。
  • They encountered many difficulties in the exploration that people could hardly imagine.
    在这次探险中,他们遇到了许多人们难以想象的困难。

 (7) stumble across/on/upon/onto可表示由于意外的运气“发现、找到(某物)”。

  • stumbled across this old photograph in the back of the drawer.
    我在抽屉后面发现了这张老照片。

 (8) tumble on/upon意为“意外地找到、发现(某物)”,用于非正式场合,与chance on/upon, happen on/upon, come across, come on/upon用于此意时可以换用。

  • Quite accidentally, the police tumbled on the answer to the mystery.
    警察非常偶然地发现了这一谜团的答案。