区别辨析 must do 与 must have done

(1) must do表示“必要性”。(另见“have to...”条)

  • We must work hard so that we can fulfil our task ahead of schedule.
    我们必须努力工作以便能提前完成任务。

 (2) 在表示“不必要”时,不用mustn't,而用needn't, don't need to或don't have to。

  • A: Must I come to the meeting tomorrow?
    我明天必须去开会吗?
    B: No, you needn't .
    不,没必要。
  • You needn't work tomorrow if you don't want to.
    如果你不愿意,你明天可以不工作。

 (3) must do还可以表示“告诫,命令,必须,禁止”(包括对说话者自己)。

  • You mustn't be late again!
    你一定不要再迟到了!
  • You really must stop smoking.
    你真的不能再吸烟了。
  • must be here by 8 o'clock at the latest.
    我最迟必须在8点之前到这儿。

 (4) 当所谈及的“必要性”来自说话者以外的其他方面(如规章、某人的命令)时,可以用must,但更常用have to。

  • We have to work from 8 o'clock in the morning till 4 o'clock in the afternoon.
    我们必须从上午8点一直工作到下午4点。

 (5) must只用于现在和将来的“必要性”,指过去的,要用had to。

  • had to leave early that day because I wasn't feeling very well.
    那天我必须早点离开,因为我感觉不太舒服。

 (6) 在疑问句中,must用于询问对方的意愿或想法。

  • Must Mr. Smith come to the meeting?
    史密斯先生要来参加会议吗?
  • Why must you always leave your dirty clothes in the bathroom?
    你为什么总把脏衣服留在浴室里呢?

 (7) must do/be的形式用在肯定句中表示对某件事情逻辑上的推定。

  • Jane must have some problem: she keeps crying.
    简一定是有什么事:她一直在哭。
  • It must be 6 o'clock now.
    现在肯定有6点了。

 (8) 在否定句和疑问句中,这种推定应分别使用can't和can。

  • That can't be the postman — it's only seven o'clock.
    那不会是邮递员——这才7点。
  • What do you think this letter can mean?
    你认为这封信会是什么意思?

 (9) 对于正在进行的事项的推测,要用must be doing的形式。

  • Let's hurry up — they must be anxiously waiting for us.
    咱们快些,他们一定在焦急地等我们。

(10) ①对于过去某项事情的推测,要用“must have done”的形式。

  • Mary must have gone home — her bike is gone.
    玛丽一定回家了——她自行车不在了。

②在疑问句和否定句中,要用can和can't have done的形式。

  • I don't think he can have heard you, call again.
    我认为他听不见你喊他,再喊一遍吧。
  • Where can Mary have put my watch?
    玛丽能把我的表放哪儿?