区别辨析 not/no...till/until 与 not ...before

(1) 这两个短语都表示“到……才……;不到……不……”。

  • They did not return home till nearly midnight.
    直到快午夜了,他们才回家。
  • He had not, till then, thought seriously of going to London.
    他直到那时候才认真地考虑去伦敦。
  • I've no room vacant till next week.
    我直到下周才有房间空出。

 (2) 有时跟副词或介词短语;有时不用no, not,而用有否定意义的hardly ever等词。

  • I shall not get back till late at night.
    我到深夜才回来。
  • I hardly ever go to bed till past twelve.
    我几乎没有在12点之前上床睡过觉的。
  • He made no reference to his illness till after the lesson.
    直到课后,他才提到生病的事。

 (3) ①有时可引出从句,这时till用作连词,常可与before换用。

  • Don't promise Harry till/before we've had time to think about it.
    在我们有时间考虑之前,不要答应哈里。
  • He would not go home till/until he had made sure that everything was all right with the workshop.
    直到确信车间没有什么问题,他才肯回家。
  • cannot go till/before he comes.
    在他来之前,我不能走。

②但在下面句子中,只能用before。

  • I had not been waiting very long before he came back.
    我没等多久,他就回来了。

 (4) 引出的从句中,有时有些成分可省掉。

  • A friend is never known till (he is) needed.
    不到需要时是不会了解朋友的。

 (5) 如果句子较长,或为了强调,习惯上常把not until放在句首,这时要注意句子结构的倒装。

  • Not until I have finished my task, shall I be able to go out to the movies.
    直到完成任务,我才能出去看电影。
  • Not until midnight did it stop raining.
    直到半夜雨才停了。

 (6) not until常用It is/was not until...that 的句型来加强。

  • It was not until she came back from her trip to Europe that Mary could arrange for me to meet her elder sister.
    直到玛丽从欧洲回来,才安排我与她姐姐见面。
  • It wasn't until the accident was avoided that I knew he was of a calm temperament and never lost his head even in an emergency.
    直到避免了这场事故之后,我才知道他的性格沉着冷静,即便在紧急情况下,也从不会失去理智。