区别辨析 question, ask, inquire 与 interrogate

 (1) ①question表示“询问,盘问,提问”;有时还作“审问”解。

  • You shouldn't question me about my personal business.
    你不该问我的个人私事。
  • The teacher usually questions us orally when the reading is finished.
    做完阅读后,老师常对我们进行口头提问。
  • She was invited in and questioned by the manager as to her ability.
    她被经理请进去并被询问有关她能力方面的问题。
  • The police questioned him about his address and occupation.
    警察盘问他的地址和职业。

②question还表示“对……提出疑问;怀疑”,相当于doubt:

  • question whether he said that out of sincerity.
    我对他的话是否出自诚心表示怀疑。

 (2) ①ask表示“问,询问,要求,请求”,指为了得到一个回答或了解某一情况而询问,是一般用词。

  • May I ask your name?
    我可以问您叫什么吗?
  • She sends you greetings and asks when you will be in Tokyo.
    她向你问好并问你何时到东京。
  • I was asked to lecture on Chinese folklore at the literary club.
    有人请我在文学俱乐部就中国民俗学开一个讲座。

②ask sth. of sb.意思是“向某人要求某事”。

  • That's what I ask of you.
    这就是我所要求你的。

③ask after是“问候,问好”的意思。

  • They all asked after you/your health.
    他们都向你问好/问候你的健康。

④ask for是“要求得到,要求给予;要……接电话;要求见某人”。

  • asked for time to think all this over.
    我要求给我时间好好考虑此事。
  • I had never known her ask for pity before.
    以前我从不知她曾祈求过怜悯。
  • He dialed and asked for an extension number/the English Department.
    他拨了号,要接一个分机号/英语系。
  • There is a gentleman at the gate asking for you.
    大门口有位先生要见你。

⑤ask for有时也表示“向……问好”。

  • I met Frank at the party yesterday; he asked for you (=asked how you were/how you were getting on).
    昨天,我在晚会上见到弗兰克,他向你问好。

 (3) ①inquire意为“打听,询问”,是较正式的书面用词,可接名词、名词从句,或由where, why, what, how, whether等加不定式构成的复合结构,其后宾语为人时要用介词of引出。

  • He inquired why I had not thought of that before.
    他问我为什么以前没想到那事。
  • inquired whether she would care to take the position of teacher of English in our school.
    我询问她是否愿意接受我校英语教师的职位。
  • Did you inquire his reason for changing his mind?
    你打听过他改变主意的理由了吗?
  • Let's inquire how to get there.
    咱们打听一下到那里怎么走。
  • He inquired of me why I wouldn't go to the party.
    他询问我为什么不去参加聚会。

②inquire about意为“询问,打听”。

  • As matters stand, I'm not in a position to inquire about the going of the whole thing.
    事实上,我无权询问整个事情的进展情况。
  • Where ought I to go to inquire about Beijing bus-tours?
    我应去哪里询问有关北京公交环城游的事宜?

③inquire after意思是“向……问候”,可与ask after换用。

  • She was inquiring after you/your health, and sent her best/kind regards.
    她向你问候并向你致以最良好的祝愿。

④inquire for是“要求见到;找……接电话;设法得到,买到”,可与ask for换用。

  • While you were out, a young lady rang up inquiring for you. She said she would ring again later.
    你外出时,一位年轻的女士打电话找你。她说会再打电话来。
  • If you're passing the optician's this morning, would you mind dropping in and inquiring for my new specs?
    如果你今天上午路过眼镜店,你能顺便去取我的新眼镜吗?

 (4) interrogate指严密地、正式地“询问,质问,盘问”。

  • The police interrogated the prisoner for hours.
    警察对这个囚犯盘问了数小时。
  • The lawyer took two hours to interrogate the witness about the matter.
    律师花了两个小时就这件事对证人做了详细的询问。