区别辨析 rare, scarce 与 scant

 (1) ①rare意思是“罕有的,稀罕的;不常发生或看见的”,常意味着“难得,珍贵”,可作定语,也可作表语。

  • It's rare for her to be absent from class.
    她很少旷课。
  • Pandas are rare animals found only in China.
    熊猫是只在中国才能见到的珍稀动物。
  • The museum possesses rare art treasures.
    这所博物馆拥有稀世艺术珍品。

②rare还作“稀有,稀疏”解。

  • The higher we go above the earth, the rarer the air is.
    我们向上升得越高,空气越稀薄。

 (2) ①scarce通常意味着暂时的“缺少,稀少”;或曾经富有而现在变得稀有,一般只作表语。

  • Bald eagles are now fairly scarce in north America.
    秃鹰现在在北美相当稀少。
  • These are very old stamps that are scarce .
    这是些非常古老、稀有的邮票。

②以人为主语时,通常用to be scarce of 句型。

  • We now have no worry of being scarce of provisions.
    我们现在无缺粮之虞。

 (3) scant表示“不足的,欠缺的,勉强够量的,很少的”。

  • I have had scant experience in this field.
    我在这个领域经验很少。
  • He paid scant attention to my advice.
    他没怎么注意我的劝告。
  • Hurry up! You have a scant hour in which to prepare.
    快点!你只有不到一个小时的准备时间了。
  • He was fat and scant of breath.
    他很胖,气喘吁吁的。