区别辨析 recede, retreat, withdraw 与 retire

(1) ①recede表示从观察者/说话者的位置或先前的位置“后退”或显得“后退”(而实际并未移动),“离得越来越远”,“逐渐消失”。

  • As the tide receded , we were able to explore the rocky pools on the beach.
    潮水退后,我们就在海滩上岩石的水洼里探寻。
  • As our ship sailed out to sea, the coast slowly receded .
    当我们的船驶向大海时,海岸渐渐地向后退去。
  • Houses and trees seem to recede as you ride past in a car.
    当你乘车前行时,房子和树好像都在后退。

②recede可用于引喻场合,表示“逐渐消失;记不清”。

  • As the months passed, memories of my middle school days are gradually receding .
    随着岁月的流逝,我对中学时代的记忆逐渐地淡漠了。
  • How can you recede from your promise?
    你怎能收回诺言呢?

(2) ①retreat表示“撤退,退却,后退”,通常用于军队,也可用于其他场合,多表示被迫的、不情愿的。

  • The enemy were/was forced to retreat after heavy losses.
    敌人在蒙受重大损失后被迫撤退。
  • Seeing the big dog, the tramp retreated rapidly.
    看见那只大狗,流浪汉迅速地向后退却。
  • The soldiers were ordered to retreat to safer positions behind the lines.
    士兵们奉命向战线后方较安全的阵地撤退。

②retreat可用于引申意义,表示“回到(僻静之处);逃避(现实等)”。

  • After a week's work, I like to retreat to the country to relax.
    工作一周后,我想到乡下放松一下。
  • You shouldn't retreat from your responsibilities in this affair.
    你不应当回避在这一事件中的责任。

(3) ①withdraw表示“(使)撤退,退出,脱离,向后退,撤出,移开”。

  • We decided to withdraw our troops from the exposed position.
    我们决定让军队从没有掩护的阵地撤退。
  • Unconsciously, she withdrew her hand from his.
    她无意识地把手从他的手上移开。
  • After being attacked, the army withdrew .
    受到攻击后,这支军队撤退了。
  • He withdrew his son from that unsuitable school.
    他让儿子从那所不合适的学校里退出来了。
  • She withdrew against the wall as the car passed close by.
    当那辆汽车紧挨着从她身边驶过时,她后退到墙根处。

②withdraw还可表示“退出(比赛、机构等)”。

  • He fell violently and hurt himself, so he had to withdraw from the race.
    他重重地摔倒了,受了伤,于是不得不退出赛跑比赛。

③withdraw也表示“回到……;离去”。

  • The waitress withdrew after serving the meal.
    女服务员把饭端来后就离开了。
  • After dinner, she withdrew to her own room.
    饭后,她回到了自己的房间。
  • Mary hates parties and always looks for a chance to withdraw into herself and not speak to people.
    玛丽讨厌聚会,总是寻机会独处,不跟人讲话。

④withdraw还作“取回,收回(话语、支持)”解。

  • I'm going to the bank to withdraw some money.
    我要去银行取一些钱。
  • I'd like to withdraw $1,200 from my savings account and put it in my cheque account.
    我想从储蓄账户上取出1200美元存入支票账户。

⑤其他如:to withdraw the remark/one's consent/offer/criticism/charges against sb./support for sth./one's name from a list等。

(4) retire 除表示“使退休(vt.),退休(vi.)”以外,也表示从某一场所“退离”,“回房(睡觉)”,“(军队)后撤”。

  • Immediately after dinner, he retired to bed, but he did not sleep.
    一吃过饭,他就上了床,但并没睡着。
  • You must retire early today as you have to catch the early train tomorrow.
    你今天必须早些回房休息,因为你明天得赶早班火车。
  • Our troops retired to prepared positions behind the river line to form themselves into new groups before attacking again.
    我军后撤到河岸线后面事先准备好的阵地,在再次发动攻击之前重新集结起来。