区别辨析 smell, scent, flavor, fragrance 与 odor

 (1) 这些词中smell最为常用,可指好的气味,也可指坏的气味。在无修饰语时,多指坏的气味。

  • What a smell!
     真难闻!
  • I cannot bear the smell of the oil fumes.
    我忍受不了油烟味。
  • The roses in my garden give off a sweet smell .
    我花园里的玫瑰散发出馥郁的甜香。

 (2) ①scent多指“(花草等)的气味,香味”。

  • Through the window I caught the fresh, sweet scents of grass and wild flowers.
    透过窗户,我闻到一股新鲜的青草和野花的香味。

②scent也可指猎物留下的“气味,踪迹”解。

  • Hares often crisscross their tracks or take huge leaps to break the scent .
    野兔经常使它们的足迹纵横交叉或跳跃而行以破坏它们的踪迹。

③scent又可指“香水”。

  • Some ladies use too much scent .
    一些女士使用了太多香水。

 (3) flavor有“味,滋味”之意,含有“香味,香气”的意味,常指食物、花草等的特殊气味。

  • The grapes have a special flavor .
    这种葡萄有种特殊的香味。
  • When you have a cold, your food sometimes has very little flavor .
    当你感冒的时候,你有时会觉得食物没有多少滋味。
  • Salt and pepper can bring out the natural flavor of potatoes.
    盐和胡椒粉能带出土豆的自然香味。

 (4) fragrance指“香味,香气,馥郁”。

  • The lingering fragrance of lilacs after a rain still remains fresh in my memories.
    雨后紫丁香历久不去的芬芳依然清晰地留在我的记忆中。
  • The fragrance of this soap is very powerful.
    这种香皂的香气非常浓烈。

 (5) odor表示“气味”,与smell同义。odor多用于书面语,其好坏由修饰语来定。

  • I love the delightful odors blown from the pine forests.
    我喜欢松林中发出的这种好闻的气味。
  • What's that horrible odor ?
    这么难闻的气味是什么?
  • The rich odor of the roses filled the whole room.
    玫瑰花浓郁的香味弥漫整个房间。