区别辨析 stand, bear, brook, endure, tolerate, suffer, put up with 与 live with

(1) stand可作“经得住,受得住,忍受,经受”解,偏重于忍受力或忍受程度,一般不用被动式。

  • I can't stand the hot, humid weather any more.
    我不能再忍受这种湿热的天气了。
  • We all have our troubles, and we all have to learn to stand them.
    我们都有自己的困难,而且我们必须学会承受它们。
  • He has stood the operation well, and good nursing will bring him round.
    他手术后情况良好,精心的护理将会使他恢复健康。
  • We must learn to stand others having the same faults as ourselves.
    我们必须学会容忍他人有和我们同样的毛病。

 (2) bear可表示“经受,忍受”,侧重于忍耐力,在此意义上可与stand换用。

  • He had borne prolonged humiliation intolerable to other people with decent control and courtesy.
    他以相当的克制和谦恭长期经受了他人无法忍受的羞辱。
  • We must face all troubles courageously and bear/stand them.
    我们必须勇敢地面对所有的困难并经受住它们的考验。
  • There is a limit to what I can bear .
    我的承受能力是有限的。
  • I can't bear to be laughed at/being laughed at that way.
    我不能忍受被如此嘲笑。
  • She could not bear that children should be treated that way.
    她不能容忍用那种方式来对待儿童。

 (3) brook意为“忍耐,忍受,容忍”,系正式用词,含有较强的意味,多用于否定句和疑问句中。

  • We will never brook interference with our internal affairs.
    我们决不容忍对我们内政的干涉。
  • These hard facts brook no distortion.
    这些铁一般的事实不容歪曲。

 (4) endure意为“忍耐,忍受”,多指忍受痛苦、艰难等,侧重忍耐力,也作“容忍”解,特别是在否定句中。该词与stand, bear意思较为接近,很多情况下可换用。endure意思较强,stand和bear较常用。

  • If help does not come, we must endure to the end.
    如果救援未到,我们必须坚持到底。
  • Astronauts in flight have to endure many discomforts in their rocket.
    飞行中的宇航员不得不经受住火箭舱内的许多不适之感。
  • We can't be indifferent to the miseries endured by the masses of the people in the earthquake-stricken area.
    我们不能对地震灾区的人民群众所遭受的不幸漠然视之。
  • She couldn't endure to see/endure seeing animals cruelly treated.
    她不忍心看到动物受虐待。

 (5) tolerate意为“忍受,宽容,容忍,容许”,通常可与bear, put up with, stand和endure换用。

  • I can't tolerate all the noise while I am working.
    在我工作时我无法忍受所有这些噪声。
  • Can you tolerate/put up with noisy pop music?
    你能容忍喧嚣嘈杂的流行音乐吗?
  • We cannot tolerate cheating on exams.
    我们不容许考试作弊。

 (6) ①suffer作“容许,准许”解时已不常用,现多用allow或permit。

  • At no time shall we suffer selfishness to triumph over empathy.
    在任何时候我们都不允许自私之心战胜对他人的同情心。
  • He was a strong-minded person and suffered no interference with his plan.
    他是一个心智坚强的人,绝不允许他的计划受到任何干涉。

②suffer更多用来表示“遭受”痛苦等,常用于疼痛、损失、疾病、挫折、失败等,也可用作不及物动词。

  • His family suffered a great deal after he was out of work.
    他失业后他的家庭受了很多的苦。
  • If he lost, his self-esteem would suffer .
    如果他失败了,他的自尊心会受到挫伤。
  • It was reported that the enemy suffered enormous losses/heavy casualties.
    据报道敌人遭受巨大损失/伤亡惨重。

 (7) put up with表示“容忍,忍受,忍耐”,在此意义上,可与bear, endure, tolerate, stand换用。

  • There are many inconveniences that have to be put up with when you are camping.
    当你在露营时你必须忍受许多的不便。
  • I can't put up with so much noise those scoundrels make.
    我不能忍受这帮无赖弄出的这么多的噪声。

 (8) live with除表示“一起生活”外,还表示“忍受,忍耐”,侧重以克制或忍耐接受不愉快的情况或事物。

  • I don't like the climate here, but we all have to live with it, don't we?
    我不喜欢这里的气候,但我们都必须忍着点,是不是?