区别辨析 sufficient, adequate, enough, ample

(1) sufficient, adequate, enough(用作形容词时)意为“充足的,足够的”,均表示适应某种客观的需要和标准。在表示“足够的”这一意义时,sufficient, enough和adequate常可以互换。

  • 10 pounds a week is not enough/sufficient/adequate to support a family of three.
    一周10英镑不足以养活一个三口之家。
  • We now have got provisions enough/sufficient for half a year.
    我们现在搞到的食品足可对付半年。
  • Do you have an adequate/enough/sufficient supply of food in your country?
    你们国家食品供应充足吗?

 (2) sufficient和enough意思更贴近,但sufficient只作形容词,enough可作形容词,也可作副词和名词。另外,sufficient多用于书面语,enough多用于口语。

  • I have had enough , and you?
    我已经吃饱了,你呢?(enough用作名词)
  • The box is not large enough to hold all these books.(enough用作副词)
    箱子不够大,装不下所有这些书。
  • Does he have sufficient knowledge for the work?
    他有足够的学识来做那份工作吗?
  • Though they were not very rich then, they had food and clothing sufficient for their needs.
    虽然那时他们不是很富有,但却衣食无忧。

 (3) adequate是符合需要或要求的水准,意为“令人满意的,足够的,适当的,能胜任的”。

  • We had adequate rain and snow last winter.
    去年冬天我们这里雨雪充足。(含有恰到好处之意)
  • Are you getting an adequate wage for the work you're doing?
    你目前的工作待遇是否令你满意?
  • You should do all you can to prove yourself adequate to the job.
    你应尽你所能来证明你能胜任这项工作。
  • His health has greatly improved after adequate medical treatment and careful nursing.
    在适当的医治和精心的护理之后,他的健康状况大为改善。

 (4) ①ample是“足够,充分,富裕,充足有余”之意。

  • Have you got ample money for your trip?
    你有足够的钱去旅游吗?
  • His stay abroad provided him ample opportunities to learn a new language.
    他的国外逗留为他提供了充足的机会学习一门新语言。
  • They agreed to make ample amends to the sufferers for injuries.
    他们同意充分补偿受害者所受到的伤害。

②ample又作“宽敞的,大的”解,多用于空间。

  • Is there room ample for twenty desks in the room?
    那个房间是否足够宽敞放得下20张课桌?
  • There used to be an ample garden in front of the building.
    过去楼前有一个宽敞的大花园。