区别辨析 tailor to, adjust to, adapt to, attune to 与 acclimatize/-ise to

 (1) tailor to可表示“使适应(需要、情况)”。

  • We must tailor our way of living (our spending) to our income.
    我们一定要量入为出。
  • They have been trying to tailor their merchandise to the particular requirements of each overseas market.
    他们一直在努力使自己的商品适应海外各个市场的不同要求。

 (2) adjust...to意为“调整,校准,(使)……适应于”。

  • The desks and seats here can be easily adjusted to the height of any child.
    这里的桌椅能够很容易地根据孩子的身高进行调整。
  • You can't see through a telescope without its being adjusted correctly to your sight.
    如果不根据你的视力来校准望远镜,你就不能通过望远镜看东西。
  • You'll have to take some time to adjust (yourself) to the climate there.
    你得花一些时间去适应那里的气候。

 (3) ①adapt...to意为“改变、改编、改造以适应;使能适应”。

  • We must learn to adapt ourselves to the changed situation.
    我们必须要学会使自己能适应变化的情况。
  • Can you adapt the play to our needs?
    你能根据我们的需要改编这个剧本吗?
  • This building has been adapted to the needs of the old people who are going to live in it.
    这幢楼已根据将要入住的老年人的需要做了改造。

②有时adapt可以是不及物动词,意思是“适应,适合”。

  • Have you adapted to the hot weather here?
    你适应这里的炎热天气了吗?

 (4) attune本意是“调音”,引申为“使协调”。attune to意为“使与……调和、协调、一致”。

  • You must attune your voice to the piano.
    你要使自己的声音和钢琴协调。
  • I tried to attune my ears to modern music but to no avail.
    我试图使耳朵适应现代音乐,但却是白费劲。
  • Are you attuned to the life there?
    你融入了那里的生活了吗?

 (5) acclimatize/-ise to意思是“(动植物等)习惯于(某地的天气情况);使(自己或别人)习惯或适应(新的情况或地方)”,可用作及物动词和不及物动词。

  • It took them about half a year to acclimatize (themselves) to the hot weather there.
    他们适应那里的炎热天气用了约半年时间。