区别辨析 touch at, call at/in, call by, call on/upon, drop by/around/round, drop in, look in/on, look up 与 wait on/upon

(1) touch at表示“(于某地短暂)停靠”,通常用于船只。

  • Before crossing the ocean, the ship will touch at two small ports on the opposite shore to pick up passengers.
    越洋之前,轮船会在对岸的两个小港口停一下接乘客上船。

 (2) ①call at/in可作“抵达,到达,(往某处)拜访”解,通常指为一特定目的作短时间停留。用at时,后接表示地点的宾语;用in时,in用作副词,也用作介词;接人则要用on。

  • called at/in the office as I was passing, but you were out.
    我经过你办公室时去拜访你,但你不在。
  • He had the habit of calling in on me in the evenings.
    他习惯晚上来登门拜访我。
  • Please call in any time you're in town, I shall be glad to see you.
    欢迎你进城时随时光临寒舍,我将非常高兴见到你。

②call at/in也可表示船在某地短时间停靠。

  • Our steamer called at/in several ports to pick up passengers along this coast before crossing the ocean.
    越洋前我们的汽轮靠了几次岸来接乘客上船。

 (3) call by意为“访问,看望”,指路过时顺便访问,用于口语,其中by为副词。

  • When you're in town next time, do call by.
    下次进城时,一定来玩。

 (4) call on/upon可作“正式拜访(某人)”解,指或因社交或因有事而拜访。

  • Permit me to call on/upon you next Tuesday afternoon.
    请允许我下周二下午登门拜访。
  • The salesman calls on the firm twice a month.
    这位推销员一月两次来拜访这家公司。

 (5) drop by/around/round表示“顺便到(某处);顺便看望某人”,是非正式拜访,通常不打招呼。by可以是副词也可是介词。around, round为副词。

  • Drop by next time you're in town.
    下次进城时过来玩。
  • dropped by the office to see if Prof. Tang was there, but he wasn't.
    我顺便到办公室看看唐教授是否在那里,但他不在。
  • I'll drop around later when I'm in town.
    以后我进城时顺便到你这里看一下。

 (6) ①drop in意为“顺便来访,到家来”,其中in为副词,如要指明地点,需用介词at;如要指明访问某人,需用介词on。

  • He often dropped in for dinner on Sundays.
    他星期天常来家里吃饭。
  • I just dropped in to see if you could give us a lecture on Canadian culture.
    我来你家看看你能否给我们做一次关于加拿大文化的讲座。
  • He dropped on me/at my place on his way to Beijing last night.
    昨晚在去北京的途中他顺便到我家拜访了我。

②drop in也可表示“随便走进(某处)”的意思。in为副词,如指明地点需用介词at。

  • dropped in at the club on my way home.
    回家路上我顺便进了这家俱乐部。

 (7) look in/on也可表示“短时间拜访 、看望(某人)”,其中in为副词,后接人时用介词on。

  • I'm glad to see you so much better. I'll look in again tomorrow.
    看到你身体好多了真高兴,我明天再过来看你。
  • I thought I'd look on you while I was passing.
    我想我路过时会去看你的。

 (8) look up可作“看望,拜访”解,up为副词,look用作及物动词。

  • While you're in London, do look up our old teacher, he'll be pleased to see you.
    在伦敦期间一定要拜访我们的恩师,他肯定很高兴见到你。
  • Look me up next time you're here on business.
    下次到这里出差时一定来看我。

 (9) wait on/upon可作“正式访问(某人)”解,是正式用语,但较陈旧。

  • Our representative will wait on you tomorrow morning.
    我们的代表将于明天上午拜访您。