区别辨析 trust in, trust to, trust with, depend on/upon, bank on, build on/upon, calculate on/upon, count on, rely on/upon, rest on/upon 与 wager on

 (1) trust in意为“相信,信仰,依赖”。

  • trusted in his ability to fulfil the task.
    我相信他有能力完成本项任务。
  • She trusted in me to get her out of her difficulties.
    她相信我会帮她摆脱困境的。

 (2) trust to意为“依靠,指靠,信赖”。

  • Say what you will, I shall trust to my own judgement.
    你尽管说,我会相信自己的判断。
  • It doesn't do to trust to memory for this kind of things.
    这样的事只靠记忆是不行的。
  • I'm trusting to memory and cannot swear it is the right name.
    我仅是依靠记忆,不能保证就是这个名字。

 (3) trust...to (sb.), trust (sb.) with sth.意为“把……托付给(某人)”。

  • You can't trust your money to a person like him/trust a person like him with your money.
    你不能把你的钱托付给像他那样的人。
  • He is reliable enough to be trusted with a post of responsibility.
    他很靠得住,足可以把一个重要的岗位托付给他。

 (4) ①depend on/upon指“依靠,信赖,指靠”。

  • The country depends almost exclusively/solely on its tourist trade.
    这个国家几乎完全依赖本国的旅游业。

depend on you to help us finish the work. 我指望你来协助我们完成工作。

②depend on/upon还表示“取决于,由……决定”。

  • How much a person can earn at this work depends on his skill.
    在这项工作中,一个人能挣多少取决于他的技能。
  • Whether it is good or not depends upon how you look at it.
    是优是劣取决于你如何看它。

 (5) bank on意为“依靠,指望”,与depend on可以换用。

  • I'm banking on your coming to help us.
    我指望着你能来帮助我们。
  • We're banking on you to help us with the designing.
    我们指望你帮我们设计一下。
  • These brakes can't be banked on if you have to pull up suddenly.
    急刹车时这些车闸就不可靠了。

 (6) build on/upon可作“指望,依赖,信赖,建立在……基础上”,与trust in 接近。

  • You shouldn't build too many hopes upon his helping you/his generosity/his promise.
    你不能过于期望他会帮助你/他的慷慨/他的承诺。
  • I'd like to come with you but that's not a promise, don't build on it.
    我很想和你一起来,但这不是诺言,不要把希望寄托在这上面。
  • The insurance business is built on trust.
    保险业务是建立在诚信的基础之上的。

 (7) calculate on/upon可作“指望,依赖”解,主要用于美式英语。可与depend on/upon, build on/upon在用作此意时互换。

  • You can't calculate on the weather being fine for everything you plan, especially in summer.
    你不能把你计划的每件事都指望天公作美,尤其是在夏季。
  • We calculate upon a hundred people attending the meeting.
    我们期望会有百人到会。

 (8) count on也可表示“指望,依靠,依赖”。

  • You can always count on Jim, he'll never fail you.
    你可以永远信赖吉姆,他绝不会让你失望的。
  • Don't count on earning 50,000 pounds a year.
    你不要指望一年能赚50000英镑。
  • You shouldn't count on your relatives to help you out of trouble.
    你不应指望亲戚帮你摆脱困境。

 (9) rely on/upon也指“依靠,指望,依赖”,在此意义上与depend on, calculate on, count on可互换。

  • To play safe, you should rely on yourself.
    为了稳妥起见,你应该依靠自己。
  • Don't rely on going abroad for our holiday, we may not be able to afford it.
    不要指望我们会出国度假,我们可能去不起。
  • You can't rely on the weather being fine for everything you plan, especially in summer.
    你不能把你计划的每件事都指望天公作美,尤其是在夏季。
  • Don't rely on him coming in time.
    不要指望他会及时来到。

(10) rest on/upon可作“取决于;依赖于;寄托于;由……来定;把……建立在……基础上”解。

  • We rest our hope on you.
    我们把希望寄托在你身上。
  • The scientist rested/built his theory on years of research.
    这位科学家的理论是建立在多年的研究基础之上。
  • The success of the plan rests/depends on your cooperation.
    这项计划的成功取决于你的合作。
  • It's not enough to rest your argument on unsupported facts.
    把论点建立在无支持的事实上是不够的。

(11) wager on本意指“下赌注”,可引申作“依赖于,指靠”解。

  • You simply can't wager on the weather for what you plan to do these days. It varies from hour to hour.
    最近你计划做什么事不能太依赖天气状况。现在的天就像孩儿脸,说变就变。
  • I'm prepared to wager on the possibility of finding a good job soon.
    我准备将希望寄托在不久可能找到一份好工作上。
  • It's not safe to wager on the train arriving on schedule.
    指望火车按时到达是不保险的。
  • Don't wager too much on the results of the examination.
    不要过分看重考试成绩。